West RMNP & Indian Peak wilderness trails

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
temptnmonkey
Trip Reports (0)

Re: West RMNP & Indian Peak wilderness trails

Post by temptnmonkey »

I don't know if you've already seen this, but here is the map of RMNP which includes many of the trails.

http://www.nps.gov/romo/index.htm and click "view map" under the big green box on top that says "Rocky Mountain."

The trail going west from the top of Flattop does appear to connect to many other major trails on the west side of the park. Not sure how it is though, I haven't actually walked it. I know you can also continue south from Flattop and see many more peaks too.
Alex
14ers: 31 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alex »

Many thanks to all people who answered.

Yes, I am aware that many parks have campsite groups limitations. Anyway, we are not going to backpack as an entire group. Most probably, 5-6 people will go while others will spend those days just on day hikes.

Thanks for the map, I have not seen it. I will look for the book also.
The only thing better than mountains are mountains to which you have never been!
Scanner
14ers: 34 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Scanner »

FYI, the PDF version of that map is http://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/u ... edmapa.pdf, if you would prefer to download it to your PC.
sivadselim
14ers: 1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sivadselim »

Alex wrote:Thanks for the map, I have not seen it.
:-? Really? By all means download the PDF version that Scanner linked, above.
Alex wrote:I will look for the book also.
Indispensible for RMNP adventuring.
Alex
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alex »

One more question. What about Ptarmigan mountain and/or Andrews peak? Are they doable within the limits that I've mentioned?
And if yes, is there gpx trail data available for them? If not, could anybody advise at least which entrance to use, North inlet or East inlet?
The only thing better than mountains are mountains to which you have never been!
irish95
14ers: 58 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by irish95 »

I climbed Andrews Peak about 15 years ago, from Lake Verna along the East Inlet Trail. I just used a map/compass. The terrain is moderately steep but nothing that exceeds difficult class 2. I aimed for the saddle between Andrews and point 12241 and then took the ridge to the summit. There are some minor cliff bands in the trees that are more difficult to see on the way down, however they are easy to work around. The view from Andrews is spectacular.
Alex
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alex »

kacy wrote:I would have to agree with everything that irish95 said, and would add the hike to Lake of the Clouds from the Colorado River trailhead. 14 miles and about 2500 feet of elevation gain.
I am wondering if Howard Mountain easy to reach from the lake and if yes, how difficult the trail is and how many extra miles would it be.