Ralston Buttes and Crescent Peak

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Ralston Buttes and Crescent Peak

Post by rking007 »

The final word, as it were, to my question just incase anyone is interested. I e-mailed Jefferson Co to ask about access and this was the answer I got this afternoon...

"Mr. King,
Thank you for writing Jefferson County Open Space. The Ralston Buttes area is closed to public access as it is designated as a sensitive area for the rich wildlife values that can be impacted by human disruption. Access is occasionally provided for scientific and educational purposes through a special activity permit.
As you have indicated, there are multiple private properties in Blue Mountain Estates, and I would caution against any trespass.
Sincerely,

Manager of Public Information"

So it looks like I'll be exploring the north side of 72. :) Again, thanks for info on cool hikes out in this area and thanks too for the comments on the photos! If by chance anyone out there receives access for 'scientific or educational' purposes, please PM me so I can come play an educating scientist!
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Re: Ralston Buttes and Crescent Peak

Post by Monster5 »

Btw, I was able to check out Blue Mountain from Coal Creek Canyon on Saturday - the route is very reasonable and there are plenty of opportunities for scrambling and checking out neat features in there. I parked at the Chapel in the Hills and didn't have a problem. We did bypass a house lower on the Something-De-Monte dirt road by bushwacking through the trees and crossing a couple old barbed-wire fences lining 72, but I heard that the road is often used by locals and may be okay to use.

Edit - did not use snowshoes or any specialized gear. Light traction would be helpful.

I'm not exactly sure of the private land extents. Climbing that route is up to you - otherwise, the Golden Gate Canyon approach on Summitpost may be the most legal.

We ended up spending a couple hours climbing around on an awesome rock outcrop (not the better pics but just to give you an idea):
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (121.01 KiB) Viewed 515 times
temp2.jpg
temp2.jpg (136.01 KiB) Viewed 516 times
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich