Ralston Buttes and Crescent Peak

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

Ralston Buttes and Crescent Peak

Post by rking007 »

So we just moved to Arvada from Parker and I was out scoping some potential quick hikes or climbs and was wondering if anyone had any information about anything cool off of highway 72. I was looking at Ralston Buttes (from 93 it looks like a big upside down boot and massive slab) and couldn't find any access from Blue Mountain Estates and also noticed Crescent Peak as potential for some scrambling or class 3 practice. Anyone done these areas? Is it legal to just find an off turn and park and go on up? I noticed there are fences with open space signs on them and up through Blue Mountain Estates there are signs that say 'No Open Space Access' so I'm guessing there is access somewhere else?

On the same note, if anyone has some cool ideas for conditioning hikes or climbs in that area I'm all ears! Thanks everyone for your wealth of knowledge!
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Re: Ralston Buttes and Crescent Peak

Post by Derek »

East Blue, Blue and Baby Blue are three peaks just to the south of 72. I've only climbed these from the south (coming from Golden Gate State Park) but I had heard of them being accessed from 72.

Baby blue and "west" blue offer some scrambling. To get all three, it might not be a particularly "quick" day, but still nice peaks.

http://www.summitpost.org/blue-mountain/235321

Baby Blue was a lot of fun, Greenhouseguy on his way up:

--Derek
SuperPolok
14ers: 58 
13ers: 245
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SuperPolok »

Crescent Mountain is one of my all-time favorites. The best (in my opinon) route is to park at the putllout on the right side of 73 near a curve, cross the creek and just head up! The scrambling is amazing on bullet hard quartzite. Careful though as the quartzite is slicker than snot when wet. There are some grouchy landowners to the east of you but totally avoidable. I agree with Derek that the Blues are a great group as well. Coal Creek Peak to the east of Crescent is also a nice hike. One of my favorite shot training hikes is Mt. Galbraith down near Golden. Good trails, great views.

Ralston buttes is "closed" open-space if I understand correctly. It's a bit convoluted but I believe there is no "easy" access. I might have once perhaps hyptothetically gone up via the blue Mtn estates on a weekday and besides getting chased by a dog for a bit it was pretty fun. To get to the top of Ralston Buttes requires a class3/4 scramble (or so I hear :oops: ).

Thorodin and Starr are good ones if you have a hankering for a snowy grunt. During the summer it is far more pleasant.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

As per Ralston Buttes, I can't speak for the northern access, but:

We were able to climb and map the entire Ralston Buttes area last year, but we had to get special permission to access the area from the east (gated with key code access on Indian Head Road). I guess they had a liability issue in the past where somebody fell into a clay pit/mine on South Ralston, causing them to fence the eastern slopes off.

We were able to access the area easily from the south via Glencoe Valley Road with a couple of options available for gaining or going around the Hogback. There are wire fences closer to the Schwartzwalder mine and Ralston Res. I do have some fuzzy memory of possibly needing key code access on the road (mega-mansion territory) but that may have been somewhere else.

You can see Glencoe V. Rd. going by the reservoir here before going behind the hogback (hard to make out from this side as it dips to the east and overhangs on the west - the tree area in this pic). From the road, you can either bypass the hogback on the south by the reservoir and then hop on the visible road behind the red ridge, or you can continue north on the Glencoe road and gain the hogback/buttes saddle.
Looking S from South Ralston
Looking S from South Ralston
temp.jpg (132.7 KiB) Viewed 1449 times
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
The Joe
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by The Joe »

If you look at the ralston buttes under the right conditions from the east and you'll see why they are known to the locals as the sleeping indian.

I grew up in Arvada so I've always admired the view of these mountains. It's nothing technical but I've put Mount Tom on my list for sentimental reasons.
"I'll get there, eventually. I'm too stubborn to quit!"
rking007
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rking007 »

So it your thinking I could access Glencoe Valley Rd from say 56th to the south eh? I'll have to check that out tomorrow after I drop my son off at school. Also, just to confirm, if there is a pull off on 72 (or any highway I guess), it's okay to just leave the car there and go straight up the mountain? I've done it once going up through Morrison and didn't get in trouble but that was during a single life where there were no kids and jobs and didn't care if the car was towed...

Has anyone done Blue Mountain from Brumm trail road or what is at the end of it? Looks like you can gain access from Blue Mountain Estates again.

Thanks for the other suggestions too everyone! I'll post day trip dates if I go anytime soon if anyone wants to join me/us.
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
Monster5
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Yes, 56th from 93 works. Pine Ridge Road also looks like it'll take you there. If there is a gate on Glencoe (which I don't think there is but all of the gated areas just seem to blur together), then you can park at the White Ranch Open Space Parking Lot at the end of Pine Ridge Road and hop on Glencoe with a mountain bike (or just walk). Glencoe is surprisingly rugged past the reservoir, but a vehicle with decent clearance should have no problem. White Ranch is also a great place to explore and trail-run, although I've spotted numerous cat signs closer to the reservoir.

On a side note, Mr. Jeanmard just posted a helpful 1/28/11 TR from Blue/E. Blue on 14erworld - he mentioned starting at the Chapel in the Hills parking lot and bush-wacking up the north ridge (private land - inch or so of snow) until he hit a dirt road to Blue's summit (~2hrs). Traversing to E. Blue (scrambling and route-finding) and then bushwacking north down the drainage from the Blue/E Blue saddle to Coal Creek Canyon Rd gave him a total RT of ~ 5 hrs.

As for leaving your car on the side of the road for a half-day - you're not gonna have any problems as long as it isn't parked hazardously (right on the shoulder after a blind curve, etc). Rock climbers, scramblers, ice-climbers, hikers, kayakers, etc leave their cars all over the Front Range canyons every day. Nobody would think twice about it unless it is left there overnight.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
rking007
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rking007 »

So I just got back from exploring Brumm Trail Rd in Blue Mountain Estates area and am pretty much concluding that while it would be an awesome way to get Blue Mountain, it would be illegal. There are private property and no trespassing signs everywhere (even a 'video monitored' no trespassing sign). At any rate, I thought I'd post some pics of the awesome fast freezing we experienced today.
IMG_6046.jpg
IMG_6046.jpg (133.08 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
IMG_6041.jpg
IMG_6041.jpg (87.18 KiB) Viewed 1160 times
IMG_6045-1.jpg
IMG_6045-1.jpg (156.79 KiB) Viewed 1160 times
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

I've been following this thread out of self-interest, as these and other Jeffco peaks are interests of mine these days.
However, these frozen french fry photos deserve some props. =D>
Thanks for posting!
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
rking007
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rking007 »

Thanks! Here's a few more. So cool how weather can turn a pretty humdrum scene into something otherworldly.

IMG_6054-1.jpg
IMG_6054-1.jpg (109.51 KiB) Viewed 1109 times

IMG_6049.jpg
IMG_6049.jpg (130.64 KiB) Viewed 1110 times

The 'rack focus' of the first shot.
The 'rack focus' of the first shot.
IMG_6040.jpg (97.51 KiB) Viewed 1111 times
Monster5
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Those are some great pictures!
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

Amazing photos. I am not worthy of my Nikon DSLR :-(