How not to get lost on the way back from Chasm Lake ?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
viejo
Trip Reports (0)

Re: How not to get lost on the way back from Chasm Lake ?

Post by viejo »

There's some good take-away lessons from this experience.

As you have experienced, it can be easy to lose signs of a trail above tree line in snow conditions. Tracks laid down in the morning can pretty quickly disappear under new or blowing snow conditions.

As mentioned by others, use of terrain features along with map/compass is a good way to get where you want to go. In this case, the Alpine Brook drainage is an obvious and key feature that drops you right on the trail by the small bridge near tree-line. Being aware of those features and points of trail intersection will get you on track pretty quickly. As mentioned by tube, those are your backstop/handrail guides.

For those who have a tendency to want to stash snowshoes/gear to lighten the load, this is a reminder that finding your cache on the way back may not be as simple as you thought. That obvious "big rock" that where you left things may well look like one of a thousand obvious big rocks on the way back. Be absolutely positive where you stash stuff and know that you can return to it if the weather and visibility turn bad on you.

For those who feel flotation is not needed because there is a packed track, you'd best be supremely confidant that you will, in fact, find your way back to the boot track on your return regardless of conditions. If not, the resultant postholing may be more than you baragined for.

Navigational skills are an absolute critical skill for those venturing above treeline in snow conditions. Be sure you're confidant in those skills before venturing out.
BAUMGARA
14ers: 58  6  5 
13ers: 22 1 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BAUMGARA »

You know, I got lost there once while on a second date with a girl. It was the beginning of June and the snow wasn't completely melted out around treeline. We bushwacked for awhile and eventually made it back to the trail, unfortunately things didn't work out with that girl. I should talk to RMNP about that. :lol:
I'm really good with navigation so it is a qwerky area.
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

unclegar wrote:I usually take note of where the Battle Mountain campground turn-off sign is and aim for that on the way back. It is very easy to lose the trail in that area. I have been there many times in the winter and many times in the dark. With the typical winds you can't always count on following your tracks back. Once at the sign, you can follow the stream down to the "lightning warning bridge". This is the winter cutoff route. From there you are on the main trail through the switchbacks.
We did go past the Battle Mountain campground turn-off sign on the way down, though not on the way up. Is it possible that the stream there is under snow and ice ? I didn't see it at all until getting to the bridge.
jomagam
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

Thanks Viejo, that's a good summary. I'll use the backstop/handrail thinking.

And to illustrate post-holing when you get off trail:
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

jomagam wrote:
unclegar wrote:I usually take note of where the Battle Mountain campground turn-off sign is and aim for that on the way back. ..
We did go past the Battle Mountain campground turn-off sign on the way down, though not on the way up. Is it possible that the stream there is under snow and ice ? I didn't see it at all until getting to the bridge.
Yes the stream is definitely under the snow this time of year until you get to the lightning warning bridge. I took some pics this past week when I went up to Chasm Junction and will post a series of pictures of things to look for on the way down. If you were on the standard trail or the winter trail you should go right by the sign either way. I'll expand more in a post to follow.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
gdthomas
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by gdthomas »

A simple but effective navigational technique that does not require batteries or equipment of any kind is to periodically look behind you as you ascend, especially where there is a fork in the trail or where the trail becomes difficult to follow. This technique may work better after the snow melts but can be effective on snow-covered trails as well. It has certainly bailed me out on several occasions under both conditions.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

gdthomas wrote:A simple but effective navigational technique that does not require batteries or equipment of any kind is to periodically look behind you as you ascend, especially where there is a fork in the trail or where the trail becomes difficult to follow. This technique may work better after the snow melts but can be effective on snow-covered trails as well. It has certainly bailed me out on several occasions under both conditions.
I would have at least three issues with this (although I do this):
1) If fog, rain, or snow come in, then you view may be hundred yards at best, instead of miles.
2) Illumination is drastically different at various times of day. I ascend in the deep shadows of dawn and usually descend the brute light of overhead midday sun. The forests appear very different those times and other landscapes appear moderately different.
3) My puny brain can only remember a handful of similar events at time. After the 5th or 6th log steam crossing I can lose count. I haven't resorted to notebooks or GPS trackers yet, but that might be a possibility in the future.

(Chasm Lake s an exception to me because I've done it so many times and memorized many of the main features.)
jomagam
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

gdthomas wrote:A simple but effective navigational technique that does not require batteries or equipment of any kind is to periodically look behind you as you ascend, especially where there is a fork in the trail or where the trail becomes difficult to follow. This technique may work better after the snow melts but can be effective on snow-covered trails as well. It has certainly bailed me out on several occasions under both conditions.
Can you expand on this ? How does looking back help me find the way forward ?
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

By looking back and capturing the route in your memory on the way in, you will remember landmarks on the way out. :shock: Sounds obvious but it works very well if you can remember to pause for occasional looks at your back trail.
unclegar
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

OK. I'll try to help out with some pictures as I previously posted. This may not be helpful to some or may help a lot depending upon the weather, conditions, time of year, etc. Hopefully it will help someone. Lots of good suggestions in some of the posts and I typically look at the notch on Longs and then look behind me as I go to get a good idea of where I'm at in the process. I will most likely have to make a few posts since I believe there is a limit of 3 pics per post.

When you leave from Chasm Junction follow the trail (basically North) until you see the large rock in pic 1. This is a good landmark. I have circled the rock as well as Estes Cone in the background which is another good landmark.
pic 1 w labels.jpg
pic 1 w labels.jpg (55.81 KiB) Viewed 522 times
Once at the rock, turn right (basically East). There are three points that I have labeled 1,2,3. (Baldpate Mtn., Twin Sisters E., Twin Sisters W.) I have also circled Estes Cone on the L again. You will basically head toward the center (2) of the three peaks. Initially the trail will head more toward 3 and later the trail will head more toward 1 but you generally want to be heading toward peak 2.
pic 2 w labels.jpg
pic 2 w labels.jpg (31.25 KiB) Viewed 522 times
The trail should mostly skirt to the right of any large snowfields you might encounter. There are several large cairns you will pass and eventually the trail will take you to the left of another large boulder. (click in the picture to remove scroll bars)
pic 3 w labels.JPG
pic 3 w labels.JPG (56.7 KiB) Viewed 522 times
Once you pass this large boulder you will make a very sharp turn left and even back more to the left as you go downhill. You should run into the Battle Mountain turn-off sign at the bottom. To be continued...

― Charles M. Schulz
unclegar
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

The Battle Mountain turn-off sign is the small circle in the following picture. This is your next goal. I have also circled Estes Cone again.
pic 4 w labels.jpg
pic 4 w labels.jpg (82.93 KiB) Viewed 521 times
A close-up of the Battle Mtn. turn-off sign. You want to head toward the middle peak (2) again to take the winter cut-off. The standard trail goes more to the South from the sign than the winter route. You basically want to stay on the right of the river (and slope) as you go down, but it will not be obvious that there is water there. If you get to the bottom of the ditch and start back up the other side (on your left) you have gone too far to your left.
pic 5 w labels.JPG
pic 5 w labels.JPG (70.01 KiB) Viewed 520 times
The next picture shows the winter trail. Note you are heading toward the center peak again until the clearing makes a left turn down the slope.
pic 6 w labels.JPG
pic 6 w labels.JPG (55.73 KiB) Viewed 520 times
To be continued...

― Charles M. Schulz
unclegar
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

This is a fairly steep slope and the last section of the winter cut-off trail. There is running water under the snow toward the bottom so be careful. I stay to the right of the water until I have to cross it (maybe a hundred to two hundred yards from where it meets the standard trail)
pic 7 w labels.JPG
pic 7 w labels.JPG (67.73 KiB) Viewed 519 times
When you intersect the standard trail, turn left and follow it down. You should see a bridge to your right as you join the trail. Hope that helps.

― Charles M. Schulz