Triple Peak Challenge (Bear, S Boulder, Green) from NCAR

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Charlie78
14ers: 17  1 
13ers: 32 1
Trip Reports (0)

Triple Peak Challenge (Bear, S Boulder, Green) from NCAR

Post by Charlie78 »

Considering doing this hike as a loop from NCAR, here is the proposed route-

NCAR
Mesa
Fern Canyon
West Ridge
Greenbear
EM Greenman
Mesa
NCAR

Anyone done this way before? Looking for a ballpark on elevation gain and mileage and pain :( . I calculated 4500-5000 elevation gain but couldn't get an accurate estimate of mileage. There is a bailout route that cuts out Green Mountain by coming down Bear Canyon and I figured this would be around 10 miles and 3500 elevation gain per this link from summitpost-

http://www.summitpost.org/fern-canyon/158174" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
zoomie83
14ers: 40 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Triple Peak Challenge (Bear, S Boulder, Green) from NCAR

Post by zoomie83 »

Anyone done this way before? Looking for a ballpark on elevation gain and mileage and pain
If you go EM Greenman-Saddle Rock-Amphitheatre-Bluebell-Baird back to the Mesa Trail, by the Boulder map I have it comes out to close to 12 miles; I know Derek has done these peaks in a day but I'm not sure by what route. He'll probably reply if he sees this.

I can tell you its possible to do them from the Green Mountain West Ridge Trailhead but its kind of an out and back: Green Mountain, Bear Peak, South Boulder Peak and return and it totals 9.4 miles and around 2,500 elevation gain. Took me 4 hours and 40 minutes.

Either way the views are worth any pain. Highly recommended. :)
ebnhils
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 6 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ebnhils »

I hike the three same Peaks from South Mesa T/H last year, it was 12.5 miles and around 5k. In the book Best Summit Hikes in Colorado they have it listed as 12.1 miles and 5,171 elevation gain from Gregory Canyon T/H.
life is motion, get busy living or get busy dying
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

zoomie83 wrote:I know Derek has done these peaks in a day but I'm not sure by what route. He'll probably reply if he sees this.
He knows me well.
ebnhils wrote:I hike the three same Peaks from South Mesa T/H last year
Thats how I did it. I started from south mesa, headed up Mesa trail all the way until I hit Bear Canyon trail. From there, I took the standard route to Green mountain. (Green bear to green mountain trails.) I followed the same way back off of Green Mountain but took the Bear Peak West Ridge trail SE to Bear Peak. Traversed to South Boulder, and down Shadow Canyon to Homestead back to the Mesa TH. I think round trip was about 6 hours, but I wasnt rushing at all. My estimated stats from my log were 13.2 miles and 4280 elevation.

Track if interested. (Didnt turn GPS on for the first little bit....)

Good training for early season, minus the high altitude.

If you did this from NCAR, I would assume much less mileage, probable similar to a little less elevation. Very doable.

--Derek
Kevin Baker
14ers: 58  53 
13ers: 674 32
Trip Reports (125)

Post by Kevin Baker »

I just did the exact route you listed today, and it took right at 6 hours at a moderate pace. Excellent loop hike, but a bit too crowded for my taste when I'm used to seeing nobody on obscure low peaks.
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson