Indian Peaks Wilderness Guide Book or Website

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Buckeye
14ers: 50 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Indian Peaks Wilderness Guide Book or Website

Post by Buckeye »

I'm looking to hike some of the peaks in the Indian Peaks Wilderness this summer. What are the best guidebooks and websites for this locale in regards to information about camping, permits, the peaks, trailheads, and trails?

I'm assuming this is the logical book choice:
http://www.rei.com/product/631610" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't see much in the way of websites though.
gonzalj
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Indian Peaks Wilderness Guide Book or Website

Post by gonzalj »

that's definitely the one you want.
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

This is the guidebook that got me into hiking and is great for the trail system (at least on the western end). http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Hiking ... 0971732711" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Roach's book is far and away the best for summit info.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

I'd agree with the above assessment of Roach's book.

I get more excited looking at the IPW book than ever thinking about the Sawatch and other Front Range 14ers combined. Beautiful mountains and amazing climbing. And the fact that there are no peaks above that magical threshold of 14,000 feet (sarcasm :roll: ) they are way less crowded once you get a couple hundred yards from the trail head.

As far as websites go, it's pretty difficult to find broad info devoted to the IPW, mountain project certainly doesn't have a segment devoted to it. I usually find a specific route I want to do and then google search it which usually will return at least one trip report from summit post or 14ers.

EDIT - I'll also add that I have this posted on the wall behind my computer monitor at work. I spend quite a bit of time dreaming on it.
Make wilderness less accessible.
its_not_a_tuba
14ers: 36  1  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by its_not_a_tuba »

davey_rocket wrote:As far as websites go, it's pretty difficult to find broad info devoted to the IPW, mountain project certainly doesn't have a segment devoted to it.
Actually... http://www.mountainproject.com/v/colora ... /105802014
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

yup. that book is great! Classic snow climbs of Colorado is another good one.
The Roach 13ers book is decent as well for IPW.

And of course mountainproject.com and summitpost.com
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

its_not_a_tuba wrote:
davey_rocket wrote:As far as websites go, it's pretty difficult to find broad info devoted to the IPW, mountain project certainly doesn't have a segment devoted to it.
Actually... http://www.mountainproject.com/v/colora ... /105802014
doh...

:oops:
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

davey_rocket wrote:Beautiful mountains and amazing climbing. And the fact that there are no peaks above that magical threshold of 14,000 feet (sarcasm :roll: ) they are way less crowded once you get a couple hundred yards from the trail head.
I'd take issue with that "less crowded" part - at least for the Fourth of July trailhead and Brainard Lake. Those places get pretty crazy on summer weekends.
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." - Oscar Wilde
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

CarpeDM wrote:
I'd take issue with that "less crowded" part - at least for the Fourth of July trailhead and Brainard Lake. Those places get pretty crazy on summer weekends.
I agree, the trailheads are mayhem. But that's why I start early and only go there to climb the mountains. I'll take empty summits and busy trail heads over sharing the summit of a front range 14er with half of Denver any day.
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

Buckeye wrote:What are the best guidebooks and websites for this locale in regards to information about camping, permits, the peaks, trailheads, and trails?
The USFS website provides comprehensive information. Click on each trail for permit info, directions to trailhead, trail description, regulations, etc.. You want Boulder RD for east side IPW and Sulphur RD for west side IPW.

USFS Backpacking:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsint ... 0000000000

USFS Day hikes:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsint ... 0000000000

Another good resource is here:
http://www.protrails.com/area.php?areaID=5
Buckeye
14ers: 50 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Buckeye »

Appreciate the answers everyone I have more than enough information to work with now. Thanks!