Starr Peak?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sivadselim
14ers: 1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Starr Peak?

Post by sivadselim »

What is the prominent peak, west of the Flatirons, that I can see from Longmont? From Longmont and the Diagonal, it 'appears' just to the right of Green Mountain but is several miles west of there and seemingly somewhere between S. Boulder Peak, Bear Peak, Green Mountain and the Indian Peaks Wilderness. It is considerably taller than any of those Flatirons peaks.

Is it Starr Peak?

(Forgive me for not posting a picture. I can't find a good one and have been meaning to take one, one morning.)
AcruxHopper
14ers: 15 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Starr Peak?

Post by AcruxHopper »

Yes, I'm pretty sure you are referring to Starr Peak. For years of hiking in the lower mountains of Boulder County, I have noticed how prominent Starr Peak looks from the angle you are referring to. It's very near neighbor to the southwest, Thorodin Mtn, is actually taller, but is hidden from your angle.
Pots and pans, bops and bans
sivadselim
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sivadselim »

Yeah, thanks. That is what I have always figured. I am still having a bit of trouble reconciling it being that with my map, though (Trails Illustrated #100, Boulder/Golden). With Google Earth and the terrain exaggerated maximally I had very vaguely and tentatively identified it as Starr Peak. Kinda surprised there is so little mention of it as it is so prominently visible from along the Diagonal Hwy..

The other potential option I had identified was Twin Sisters Peak (not Peaks) but that is only ~600' taller than Green.

It looks like the view into the IPW would be great from the top of whatever it is.
AcruxHopper
14ers: 15 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AcruxHopper »

I think this might be the view of Green Mountain (and other Boulder mountains) and Starr Peak you were looking for. This is taken from the Open Space a bit to the west of Diagonal Hwy, so it's not the exact angle you speak of. But, it shows the impressive Starr Peak looking much higher than anything around.

Pots and pans, bops and bans
sivadselim
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sivadselim »

Yeah, thanks. Far right in the bottom pic.