Climbing Sopris

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Climbing Sopris

Post by davebks »

Anyone been up Sopris? I have always wanted to climb it. I seems like just a unique peak to go up.
we were thinking about Memorial weekend. Thoughts? Would it still be snowy?
hotrod
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Climbing Sopris

Post by hotrod »

Drummer Dude has climbed Sopris but I think it was not as early as May. You could send him a pm.
Growing older is inevitable, but getting old is not.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

It will definately be snowy. The Elks are one of the snowiest ranges in Colorado.

Sopris is not far from Capitol and here are photos from a Capitol trip over Memorial Day weekend 2005:

http://www.summitpost.org/summit-or-plu ... -pk/170130" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Snowpack this year is similar to how it was in 2005.

Even in a drought year, there will still be significant snow in May.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Hypersnow
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Hypersnow »

I have been up a few times as i look at the mountain every morning. Memorial weekend it will definitely have snow (I skied off it Memorial weekend '05); depends on how warm our spring is. As of right now, we have had 16 inches in Highlands bowl in the last 3 days; so Sopris is still picking it up too. Generally speaking you will be able to make it to Thomas Lakes with just some minor snow crossings; but past there, bring crampons and start early. If you would like an update on snow conditions before you head up, drop me a PM.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I've climbed it (to the east summit) from Dinkle Lake in the summer. It's a nice route, about 12 miles/4200 feet, mostly class 1 with a bit of class 2. Adding the west summit (which is the same elevation) adds about a mile. When I did it (late 90's) it was possible to camp at the trailhead; I'd be surprised if that was still the case, since Aspen is like the world's largest no-camping zone.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
mtnmaneric
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 373
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnmaneric »

heading there tomorrow on skis...
giarcd
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (15)

Post by giarcd »

Hike in about 3.5 miles to Thomas Lakes and camp there---great jump off spot for summit (s)---located at the base of switch backs to east ridge (standard route)!! ---there are excellent and muliple camp sites. (bet there would be no problem sleeping in or around your vehicle at parking lot)
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

giarcd wrote:Hike in about 3.5 miles to Thomas Lakes and camp there---great jump off spot for summit (s)---located at the base of switch backs to east ridge (standard route)!! ---there are excellent and muliple camp sites. (bet there would be no problem sleeping in or around your vehicle at parking lot)
Apologies for the brief thread hijack, but Craig -- you gonna make it to the Spring Gathering this year?
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

davebks wrote:Anyone been up Sopris? I have always wanted to climb it. I seems like just a unique peak to go up.
we were thinking about Memorial weekend. Thoughts? Would it still be snowy?
I have used Sopris as a "training" climb every other year or so for the last 10 years. It is a great spring/early summer climb. The earliest I have been up there is mid-May, but that was during the drought years of 2003-2004 when mid-May looked like late-June around here. With the current snow pack in the Elks this year, definitely expect plenty of snow on Memorial Day weekend probably starting below/at Thomas Lakes and continuing to the summit. Skis and/or snowshoes are recommended as they will keep you from post holing in the aspens on the way up/down. Crampons/ice axe aren't a bad idea either as the corniced summit ridge can be pretty wind blown and hard packed.

The skiing/boarding the rock glacier from below the summit to Thomas Lakes is great and I would highly recommend bringing equipment if you don't mind the weight. If you plan to climb Sopris in a day, make sure that you get an early start, as it is on the western side of the Elk Range it gets the brunt of the lighting and weather about 1-2 hours before they hit Capitol, Snowmass, and the Bells (although the storms aren't quit as strong in May). I've had my hair stand on end while I was up there one summer.

There is no problem camping at the trailhead, but I would second giarcd's comments and hike into Thomas Lakes to spend the night. Another option is to take the Hay Park Trail, past the Thomas Lakes Trail turnoff and continue east towards Capitol Creek and follow an old logging road/trail into Buzzard's Basin and camp. From there you can climb the eastern ridge to the summit and enjoy the expansive views of Capitol/Hell Roaring Creek drainages on the way up.

For photos/info on the standard route you can check out my trip report from June of last year: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=8246

Have fun it's a great mountain!

kaiman
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick