Lost Creek Wilderness conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
fletchersteel
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Lost Creek Wilderness conditions

Post by fletchersteel »

Thanks Tim! Hornet, I'm looking at going up goose creek, I'll let ya know what it was like.
zoomie83
14ers: 40 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by zoomie83 »

I'm not sure where you could find details on road gate closures in the Wilderness,
I've had good luck contacting the South Park Ranger District, 719-836-2031.
KeithK
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (51)

Post by KeithK »

Can't speak to overall snow pack, but I can see the Alphabetizer peaks and the tip of Bison (or McCurdy?) from my window at work, and they are a bright white this morning, so there's likely appreciable snow below treeline. The worst postholing I've ever enjoyed was in the LCW in May, all at the northern end of the area, in the Retirement Range. The southern end in the Tarryalls could be a different story.
Snow is dumb.™
Stop cyber bullying!
fletchersteel
Trip Reports (2)

Post by fletchersteel »

Called the forest service office, and the northern end of lost creek wilderness has quite a bit of snow, but goose creek is accessible, with very little snow. Campground opens memorial day, burn ban, no open fires. FR211 passable with a car all the to th. I'll update more Monday when I get back.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

Wigwam Trail on Friday near 9700' (about 4.25 miles west of Wigwam TH):

Wigwam trail Sunday near 9500', between the Goose Creek intersection and the Rolling Creek intersection (same area as above, yup...it snowed):

Wigwam Trail Sunday near 9000' about 2 miles west of the TH:

I'm sure all the snow wont last too long, but there was a good 4-5" new snow last night at our campsite near 9600'.

--Derek
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

On 5/1 the west face of South Tarryall Pk looked a whole lot like Derek's third photo.
fletchersteel
Trip Reports (2)

Post by fletchersteel »

Thanks for the pics Doug! I ended up not going due to a bad stomach bug that went around our family this past weekend. It'd been nice to be up there, but that snow looks like no fun!
"A man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him and leaving something of himself upon it." — Martin Conway