What is the name of this peak west of Pueblo?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
toyotaviejo
Trip Reports (0)

What is the name of this peak west of Pueblo?

Post by toyotaviejo »

I just moved to Pueblo and this is the dominant peak when looking to the west: http://i.imgur.com/7vRHQ.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can anyone tell me what its name is?

Thank you!
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What is the name of this peak west of Pueblo?

Post by tmathews »

That's in the direction of Greenhorn Mountain. It's the highest peak(s) in the Wet Mountains.
toyotaviejo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by toyotaviejo »

Thank you so much!!
sgladbach
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 710 37
Trip Reports (29)

Post by sgladbach »

You have indicated the only portion of the Wet Mountains (Colorado’s oldest, and formerly highest, range. Some of the sediment runs to the Kansas border.) Terry is correct, the named, and ranked, 12er at the south end of your photo is named Greenhorn. It is named for a particularly aggressive Comanche raider whose followers hid out in the wet mountains. He was known for his Buffalo headdress with green-painted horns. The Spanish called him “El Cuerno Verde”, a common-place name around Pueblo.

The northern part of the long ridge indicated in your photo is called “North Peak”. It is officially named by the USGS, but, it does not have 300’ elevation gain.

My first “list” as a climber was to summit all the peaks visible from Pueblo. First, that meant East Spanish Peak, West Spanish Peak, Greenhorn, and Pikes. Later, I learned of several other named peaks in the Wet Mountains.

Bartlett (shorter) and Greenhorn trails will climb you to the summit from Rye. These are long, strenuous hikes. After all the snow is gone, you can drive high up and it becomes an appropriate hike for children.

As a Puebloan, you might be interested in this Book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/097402 ... e=&seller=

I have NO IDEA why they are priced so high at Amazon.com. Nadia is self-published, but The Great Divide, 4th and Santé Fe, has it available for $19.32 after tax (I just verified it with them on the phone!)

Steve
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

It's also the highpoint of Pueblo county. If you're interested in working on the Colorado County Highpoints list (64 counties and slightly fewer peaks), Greenhorn is a great way to get started.
Artvandalay
14ers: 47  7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Artvandalay »

I work in Pueblo and drive from Colorado Springs to get there and I've always wondered this myself. Thanks for posting the question and thanks to all for answering.
Hi. I like to go outside.
zoomie83
14ers: 40 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by zoomie83 »

Highly recommend this hike. Extemely high reward-to-effort ratio. From Greenhorn Mountain's summit you can see the entire Sangre de Cristo Range from Salida to Culebra Peak and probably into New Mexico.
After all the snow is gone, you can drive high up and it becomes an appropriate hike for children.
Steve is absolutely correct. About 3 miles one way and a little over 1000 feet of gain from the summer traihead. I think the winter closure adds someting like 23 miles one way.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

Greenhorn has endless views across the plains, nice looks at the Crestones and Spanish Peaks, and boasts some impressive pockets of fall color in October.
Sangre view from Greenhorn
Sangre view from Greenhorn
IMG_6330.jpg (83.51 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
Spanish Peaks from Greenhorn summit
Spanish Peaks from Greenhorn summit
IMG_6317.jpg (50.41 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
For the standard route, you'll burn more gasoline than calories, but there are multiple route choices available with a little research.
Peaks with this much prominence rarely disappoint, no matter how much or little work it takes to summit.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
zoomie83
14ers: 40 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by zoomie83 »

Peaks with this much prominence
If memory serves, 11th in Colorado.
PatsSox09
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by PatsSox09 »

http://www.summitpost.org/colorado-s-mo ... aks/171322" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;