snow climb this weekend...?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

snow climb this weekend...?

Post by davebks »

We were thinking about a climb/ski on Longs sat but I am supposed to go to the U2 concert. It would be a tight one...
Anyone have any good ideas of snow climbs that won't take ALL day? I live in Boulder so something in IPW perhaps?

Something that isn't too tech. would love to ski if possible. I know that the avi conditions have been rough so perhaps I am just getting itchy feet, but would be nice to get out!
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Re: snow climb this weekend...?

Post by tmathews »

Skywalker's not good to climb yet, is it?
davebks
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

I love that one, but I am thinking the road up to the TH wont be open yet. I think 4th of july doesnt open for a month or so. around july :)
So that would add a LOT of extra hiking in.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Dragon's Tail?

I'm not sure what the conditions are right now up there though.
Make wilderness less accessible.
davebks
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

that would be another great one, but I am thinking the conditions are pretty rough. they are 180% above snow pack right now and there have been reports of some pretty massive wet slides. With more snow this week, perhaps i should wait it out a bit...
We might still hit up Keplingers though. Heard its in good shape.
Thanks for the advice though.
jimfogelhorn
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jimfogelhorn »

davebks wrote:I love that one, but I am thinking the road up to the TH wont be open yet. I think 4th of july doesnt open for a month or so. around july :)
So that would add a LOT of extra hiking in.
It's named after the mine not when it opens. They usually plow that road mid may. However, I'm sure this year will be different.
semitrueskerm
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by semitrueskerm »

FYI: Did DragonsTail Sunday. Was relatively stable early morn, but by 10 am it was soupy and had some slides. Lots of deep postholing and wet. Wouldn't recommend. Remnents of some big avys from a few days ago.