Twin Sisters Peaks Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Codys14ers
14ers: 26  1 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Twin Sisters Peaks Conditions

Post by Codys14ers »

My wife and I were hoping to go hike Twin Sisters this coming Monday and are wondering if anyone has been around there lately? Any info would help, thank you and happy hiking!
"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
Theodore Roosevelt, 1913
lurker
14ers: 51  5 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Twin Sisters Peaks Conditions

Post by lurker »

First hand info from Friday's hike of Crosier, lots of snow on the North Face of the Twins above treeline.

Third hand info: snowshoes not needed, some postholing later on. sounds like the traffic has packed down a trail.
The Mountains are Calling, and I must Go.
--John Muir
Ridge runner
14ers: 49  12 
13ers: 100 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Ridge runner »

I was up on Storm Peak today and had great views of Twin Sisters. They are essentially snow-free.
somethingrandom
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by somethingrandom »

The route was virtually snow-free, or the mountain?

I too want to head up but am anxious.
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.
Kapelmuur
14ers: 37 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Kapelmuur »

I think lurker answered the question as I would have expected, given that I did this hike a year ago. There was a snow field near treeline that required knee-deep postholing a ways, but nothing technical. Just don't wear trail runners as I did--soggy trip down. Fun hike though and killer view of Longs.
wasclywabbit
14ers: 33  3 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by wasclywabbit »

I was on Crosier Monday and it looked like quite a bit of snow once you pop out above the trees. From my perspective it looked like quite a bit of postholing terrain, but one man's small section of postholing is another man's death slog.
Ad alta per aspera: To the summit through difficulties.
lurker
14ers: 51  5 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (1)

Post by lurker »

A buddy reported from his hike yesterday: no snowshoes needed, occasional postholing at treeline in the heat of the day, he didn't even put on the gaiters, but he hikes in soft shell pants.
The Mountains are Calling, and I must Go.
--John Muir
Codys14ers
14ers: 26  1 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Codys14ers »

Thank you guys for the info, we are going to head up there for sure, hopefully some great weather to look forward to!
"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
Theodore Roosevelt, 1913
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

Went up there today and I took microspikes and snowshoes. I put on the microspikes for a long stretch through the woods below treeline but did not use the snowshoes. Closer to the top the snow was spotty but not a problem to avoid. On the way back I didn't bother to put on the microspikes and did just fine. I didn't leave the TH until a little after noon so I think it is safe to say the entire trail can be navigated without spikes or snowshoes. I did have gaiters on though.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

unclegar wrote:Went up there today and I took microspikes and snowshoes. I put on the microspikes for a long stretch through the woods below treeline but did not use the snowshoes. Closer to the top the snow was spotty but not a problem to avoid. On the way back I didn't bother to put on the microspikes and did just fine. I didn't leave the TH until a little after noon so I think it is safe to say the entire trail can be navigated without spikes or snowshoes. I did have gaiters on though.
Yah. Steph and I didn't bring spikes or snowshoes up there yesterday either. You don't really need them. Good footpack in place through treeline.
Left the TH at 3:00pm and was back down to the car a little after 6:00pm...that includes a 30 minute break on the summit playing with a VERY friendly marmot.

Gar,
I wonder if we passed each other yesterday and didn't realize it? :-k
Attachments
Gracious enough to pose!
Gracious enough to pose!
010.JPG (312.62 KiB) Viewed 469 times
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

If you two went yesterday, then we didn't pass since I just went today (Sat). I did see your names on the register at the east peak just before mine but didn't notice the date. I think I saw the marmot on the west peak if that is where he was. Someone there mentioned that it was a kind of funny marmot. I told them about how people carry on about wanting to punt them and they thought that was kind of funny too. :D
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz