Conditions for the Ben Tyler Trail in Bailey?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jjarrard913
14ers: 37 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Conditions for the Ben Tyler Trail in Bailey?

Post by jjarrard913 »

Hi, Has anyone been on the Ben Tyler Trail recently? My friend and I would like to try a longer, but lower elevation hike to get back in shape for some Summer 14ers. We were also hoping if we stayed at lower elevations, we wouldn't run into as much snow. Has anyone been on the Ben Tyler Trail this Spring? How much snow should we expect? Is there any avalanche danger? (From the North trailhead, the topo makes it seem as though there is a pretty decent slope that could send some slides down toward the trail.) Any feedback you have is much appreciated!
vonmackle
14ers: 30 
13ers: 93 1
Trip Reports (13)

Re: Conditions for the Ben Tyler Trail in Bailey?

Post by vonmackle »

My wife and I hiked X, Y and Z last Saturday (6/4). We didn't encounter much snow. Here's a photo from Peak X looking northwest toward Kenosha Peak and the Twin Cones. Hope this is helpful.
LostCreekWeb.jpg
LostCreekWeb.jpg (336.98 KiB) Viewed 382 times
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
clemsonmtneer
14ers: 35  6 
13ers: 23 6
Trip Reports (15)

Post by clemsonmtneer »

I was up there a couple of weeks ago. Still encountered some snow and postholing a few miles in, but I bet most of it is gone by now. I'd say go for it. Zero avalanche danger up there.
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

I was there last weekend and tried to take a direct line from 11K to the plateau. Bad idea - there were a ton of waist-deep drifts.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"