North Star Mountain beta

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

North Star Mountain beta

Post by kaiman »

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to get to the Hoosier Pass area over the next couple days to climb the Cristo route on Quandary and was also wondering if anyone has been on North Star Mountain lately? If so, what are the snow/avy conditions like? Does anyone have any pictures either from the pass or from Quandary?

Thanks,

kaiman
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Re: North Star Mountain beta

Post by Monster5 »

Not really, but "bump" I guess. Just a couple Sunday pics of the top few hundred feet. From a similar, nearby slope, I would guess loading in the north couloirs and wet slides at the base of the south side (dry otherwise). You could probably follow that eastern mine road without any problems. Sorry - all I can give you is speculation that you've probably already guessed. The Quandary people can probably give you much better pictures.

N. Star right:
Quandary_NStar.JPG
Quandary_NStar.JPG (84.93 KiB) Viewed 634 times
N. Star center left:
Nstar.JPG
Nstar.JPG (78.33 KiB) Viewed 635 times
N Star from the South in February - Probably all dry except for the gullies:
NstarS.JPG
NstarS.JPG (103.13 KiB) Viewed 630 times
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

@ Monster5 - Thanks for the pics they are helpful. It looks like the top of the ridge on North Star has been pretty well windblown and has melted off somewhat. I am planning on taking the standard route from the north (starting at Hoosier Pass) and I am curious whether there are still any cornices along the ridge, but from the looks of your pictures they might be avoidable by staying on the south side of the ridge.

Any other comments/suggestions are welcome...

kaiman
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Here's North Star from Quandary, this morning...

"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Thanks for the photo Bill. That gives me a good idea on the conditions on the ridge. Did you climb the Cristo this morning? How was the snow on Quandary?

Cheers!

kaiman

- Joe Stettner

- Andy Kirkpatrick
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Yes, I climbed and skied Cristo and the snow was very stable. I was on top at 8am and waited until about 8:45 to drop in and the snow was in great shape.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

kaiman wrote:@ Monster5 - Thanks for the pics they are helpful. It looks like the top of the ridge on North Star has been pretty well windblown and has melted off somewhat. I am planning on taking the standard route from the north (starting at Hoosier Pass) and I am curious whether there are still any cornices along the ridge, but from the looks of your pictures they might be avoidable by staying on the south side of the ridge.

Any other comments/suggestions are welcome...

kaiman
If you could post up a condition report or some pics afterward, that would be great.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

We wandered past North Star on our ski of Clinton on Sunday. The south side of North Star has some nice looking snow slopes. I was tempted to wander up North Star and ski the south slopes. Would be a nice snow climb from that side.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes