ridge to Bear's Playground from Humboldt saddle

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Eph 2 5
14ers: 43 
13ers: 94
Trip Reports (3)

ridge to Bear's Playground from Humboldt saddle

Post by Eph 2 5 »

I'm looking for some opinions about how difficult the ridge is from the saddle west of Humboldt to Bear's Playground. Roach calls it class 2 but mentions that it's a scramble. One trip report I saw called it more like class 3 and said that it took them 1.5 hours to get over it, but they were hiking it in the dark. Another trip report makes it sound fairly routine if you pay attention to the cairned trails. Also, is the easiest way to hike Obstruction Peak to follow the southeastern ridge once you get to Bear's Playground? Thanks for your help.
ngoodnight
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (0)

Re: ridge to Bear's Playground from Humboldt saddle

Post by ngoodnight »

I've done that ridge during the day and at night. It's pretty casual, but there are a couple sections where route finding problems can lead you into class 3 (or higher if you're really off). I recall one difficult down climb, but it was pretty easy to backtrack and find a way around to climbers left. Overall it's a pretty easy ridge.
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

I did it as an approach to the North Buttress before dawn and it didn't seem like a big deal at all. I don't remember how long it took but it seemed to go fairly quickly. The routefinding is not bad but there are some looseish blocks in spots.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

Weegie5
14ers: 42  1 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Weegie5 »

I did Kit Carson from S Colony Lakes last year and made that traverse. I recall it taking longer than I felt it should have, but that can be said of just about everything that particular day. It seemed much shorter on the way back. In both directions, you need to be looking far enough ahead and it can be very straightforward class 2.

Enjoy!!
Gahugafuga
14ers: 53 
13ers: 98
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Gahugafuga »

My experience was distinctly class 3 but I pretty much stayed on the ridge proper the entire way and really made no attempt to find the path of least resistance. The scrambling was a bit too loose and uninteresting to be fun, but it certainly wasn't terrifying.
kansas
Trip Reports (4)

Post by kansas »

Eph 2 5 wrote:One trip report I saw called it more like class 3 and said that it took them 1.5 hours to get over it, but they were hiking it in the dark.
I was part of this TR: It was ~2am, raining, and the fog was so thick we only had about 10' of visibility so we stuck to the ridge proper most of the way... I wouldn't put much stock in that 1.5hr time under normal conditions. As Gahugafuga says, ridge proper is class 3 and too uninteresting to be fun.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer