Buffalo Mountain

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CDecker40
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (2)

Buffalo Mountain

Post by CDecker40 »

Anyone been up there recently? Any beta would be appreciated.
realhillboarding
14ers: 58  15  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Buffalo Mountain

Post by realhillboarding »

heading up to ski it tomorrow, I'll let you know what I find
GoPackGo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GoPackGo »

I skied it last Sunday. I was on top by 8.30 and started down around 8.45. It was already getting pretty soft in the middle and bottom. Good coverage still though. The bottom is a bit rough since it is mostly avy debris.
CDecker40
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by CDecker40 »

Awesome. Thanks for the beta GoPack, I appreciate it.

Thanks for the reply RealHill, if you wouldn't mind a post or message when you get back tomorrow, I'd be greatful. I'm planning on heading up early Saturday.
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

If both of you wouldn't mind, please post a conditions report. I would be eternally grateful!
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
realhillboarding
Trip Reports (7)

is there any use for skins on this route, or is it just crampons all the way?
GoPackGo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GoPackGo »

RealHill-

I had my skins and didn't use them. I just booted up. Still looks good from my house in Silverthorne.
realhillboarding
Trip Reports (7)

I tried to enter a conditions report, but I couldn't find this mountain on the list and it wouldn't let me enter my own peak name, so I'll just put it here....unfortunately my camera had an untimely death when it took a 50' fall rock climbing, so I don't have any pictures to contribute.
Short and sweet version: started at 4am, got lost in the woods, turned back at 8am due to sloppy snow, fun ski!

longer story:
we attempted to climb and snowboard buffalo mountain via silver couloir yesterday. The trail to the base of the couloir was very difficult to follow in the dark (and in the light, as we later found out) due to a stream running down a section of the trail and multiple downed trees blocking the trail, and we ended up losing the trail and found ourselves bushwhacking for about an hour. This set us back quite a bit, and it took us 1.5 hours to reach the base of the couloir. The clear skies allowed for a very solid freeze despite an overnight low of 40. The first ~400' of the couloir were littered with rocks, downed trees, and avy debris, but after that it was clean and smooth. Our detour through the trees in the morning had cost us enough time that we couldn't make it to the top and had to turn back at 8:00am around 11,700' due to softening snow. The first 1300' of the descent was fantastic corn, the last 400' that was a minefield of rocks and trees that made it very difficult to ride. The hike out made us feel a little better about losing the trail in the dark, because we once again lost the trail in full daylight thanks to a bunch of downed trees and what turned out to be a misleading game trail. We after a little searching we found the trail again, and made it back to the car at 10am.