John Denver Peak

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Re: John Denver Peak

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Holy sweet Jesus,

Mt. Elway is a must!!! You are a freakin genius jibler, get that man a cold beer! =D>
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

it does have a nice ring to it doesn't it?

problem is...he's basically going to have to die first and then we propose this as a memorial.

I don't see this taking off while he's still around (and running the Broncos into the ground....)
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
vagabond
14ers: 22 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by vagabond »

[RANT]

OK, I've been lurking for a long time and trying not to post but finally feel inclined to offer my .02.

It amazes me the ignorance some people have displayed throughout this discussion. Such remarks such as "worst idea I've ever heard" and comments on the poor quality of his music (as interpreted by some individuals) are such shallow responses it's not even funny.

Personally, I think the idea of naming a peak after JD would be an appropriate tribute. Does it have to be that one? No obviously not.

Seriously though, look at the amount of the Colorado transplants that are here 1 living in Colorado and 2 active on these forums. John Denver was one of those transplants and I have to imagine that if he was still alive today that he just might be an active member here on the 14ers.com forum. Have a little respect for a man who shared the same passion as every single one of us here on the forum.

Also, as far as the appropriateness of naming a peak after someone famous, John Denver is one of the more deserving being that many of his songs truly embodied the spirit and ambiance of the Rocky Mountains. All he was trying to do was put words to the feelings that we all experience as we get lost in the serenity and the peacefulness of the mountains. Last time I checked, I don't see Lil' Wayne or Jay-Z singing about the mountains.

And anyone who is resentful of the effects that Rocky Mountain High had on drawing flatlanders out into the mountains, quit being so selfish. Why should the Rocky Mountains be ANYONES secret? In my humble opinion, everyone should get to experience the beauty and majesty they have to offer. The influx just means we need to implement a better system of taking care of the environment... Not a problem, that can be done.

[END RANT]

How bout them Broncos?
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

vagabond wrote:[RANT]

OK, I've been lurking for a long time and trying not to post but finally feel inclined to offer my .02.

It amazes me the ignorance some people have displayed throughout this discussion. Such remarks such as "worst idea I've ever heard" and comments on the poor quality of his music (as interpreted by some individuals) are such shallow responses it's not even funny.

Personally, I think the idea of naming a peak after JD would be an appropriate tribute. Does it have to be that one? No obviously not.

Seriously though, look at the amount of the Colorado transplants that are here 1 living in Colorado and 2 active on these forums. John Denver was one of those transplants and I have to imagine that if he was still alive today that he just might be an active member here on the 14ers.com forum. Have a little respect for a man who shared the same passion as every single one of us here on the forum.

Also, as far as the appropriateness of naming a peak after someone famous, John Denver is one of the more deserving being that many of his songs truly embodied the spirit and ambiance of the Rocky Mountains. All he was trying to do was put words to the feelings that we all experience as we get lost in the serenity and the peacefulness of the mountains. Last time I checked, I don't see Lil' Wayne or Jay-Z singing about the mountains.

And anyone who is resentful of the effects that Rocky Mountain High had on drawing flatlanders out into the mountains, quit being so selfish. Why should the Rocky Mountains be ANYONES secret? In my humble opinion, everyone should get to experience the beauty and majesty they have to offer. The influx just means we need to implement a better system of taking care of the environment... Not a problem, that can be done.

[END RANT]

How bout them Broncos?
:-&

Oh and the Broncos will finish 6-10.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Kitten
14ers: 58  1  2 
13ers: 122
Trip Reports (24)

Post by Kitten »

vagabond wrote:[RANT]

[END RANT]

How bout them Broncos?
Well said! =D>
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda, Star Wars.
John Landers
Trip Reports (1)

Post by John Landers »

jibler wrote:it does have a nice ring to it doesn't it?

problem is...he's basically going to have to die first and then we propose this as a memorial.

I don't see this taking off while he's still around (and running the Broncos into the ground....)
They haven't even played a preseason game with Elwood at the helm, seems a little premature to say he is (or will) running them into the ground.
Gareth
14ers: 25 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gareth »

"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James