John Denver Peak

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mountainmanny
14ers: 12 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

John Denver Peak

Post by mountainmanny »

"The best climber....is the one having the most fun" ~ Alex Lowe
“Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
"I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It's just that the translations have gone wrong" ~ John Lennon
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Re: John Denver Peak

Post by climbing_rob »

Y-knot. Just don't call it "Deutschendorf Peak".
RosieTheSummiter
14ers: 40 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by RosieTheSummiter »

Whoa! I was listening to his greatest hits just this morning on the way to work! I think this would be an awesome idea - he was a truly great performer and musician - what a spokesperson for nature!
A person's name in context of a mountain, though, could get some giggles in various contexts- i.e. when saying "I'm going to go do Longs today" or "I can't wait to climb Princeton" and dropping the "Peak" part as is often done, his name in context there could be kind of funny *giggle!* Probably better, though, then the alternative: "Mount..."

I'd vote for it!! Go John Denver!
"Don't get mad, get altitude."
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Oman »

Can you really make a mountain out of that much saccharine?
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Naming a peak for him, perhaps, but to name one of Sopris' sub-summits? I think that's a bit silly.

There are plenty of unnamed peaks out there and that would be more appropriate in my opinion than naming the sub-summit of such an iconic peak.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

RosieTheSummiter wrote:A person's name in context of a mountain, though, could get some giggles in various contexts- i.e. when saying "I'm going to go do Longs today" or "I can't wait to climb Princeton" and dropping the "Peak" part as is often done, his name in context there could be kind of funny *giggle!* Probably better, though, then the alternative: "Mount..."
It's come to the point where whenever I have a rare PTO day, people assume that I'm going to go "mount a 14er". This stems from a coworker who had never heard of a 14er, and she assumed something else. :oops:
JB99
14ers: 41 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (21)

Post by JB99 »

I vote they name it Crestone...
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

We already have a Denver Hill (12.3k) and Denver Lake here in the San Juans. Bonus points if you know where they are. Just add "John". SJ Ron
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

Chicago Transplant wrote:Naming a peak for him, perhaps, but to name one of Sopris' sub-summits? I think that's a bit silly.

There are plenty of unnamed peaks out there and that would be more appropriate in my opinion than naming the sub-summit of such an iconic peak.
+1...worst idea ever to name one of the sub summits when the mountain already has an established name. Yes, there are plenty of unnamed peaks out there that would love to have a name :)
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rockymtnhigh69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Rockymtnhigh69 »

This would be a cool way of honoring John Denver.. Should be in the Elks somewhere and an unamed peak. I agree with Chicago Transplant that a subsummit of Sopris wouldn't be the best choice IMO.
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

JB99 wrote:I vote they name it Crestone...
I was thinking the same thing, but I think they should name on summit "John Denver", and the other (equal) one "Crestone", and the third summit "Serenity".
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Last edited by Bean on Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com