Mount Alice - Tanima Peak Traverse

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
James Dziezynski
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (5)

Mount Alice - Tanima Peak Traverse

Post by James Dziezynski »

Kyle climbs to Hourglass Ridge with the east face of Alice in the background, known by some wags as the Cubic Zirconium.
Kyle climbs to Hourglass Ridge with the east face of Alice in the background, known by some wags as the Cubic Zirconium.
IMG_5811.jpg (292.3 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
I put up my trip report over on my website -- lots of pictures and a picture perfect day! What an amazing adventure! Tanima Peak is deep in RMNP and the views of Isolation and the Moomaw Glacier are spectacular.

http://www.mountainouswords.com/mountai ... -traverse/

I had great company and the weather was as good as it gets. 17.2 miles, 5,400 feet of elevation, 12 hours lots of smiles! The hardest part was figuring out how to get down Boulder Grand Pass. Good times though, good times.
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
milan
14ers: 57  1 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Mount Alice - Tanima Peak Traverse

Post by milan »

Thats a great report,
I wanted to climb combo of Chiefshead and Alice together at the end of September. After finishing Chiefshead, I was pretty tired and there was decent amount of snow between hourglass and the summit and since it seemed to me too difficult at those conditions I gave up and went back. I like this idea for the next trip to combine Alice with Tanima Pk.
Here are some pics how Alice and Chiefshead looked like at September 25.th
https://picasaweb.google.com/1089941779 ... Chiefshead#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bking14ers
14ers: 49 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bking14ers »

Hi James. Loved your book. "Best Summit Hikes in Colorado" I've used it for a couple years now. Did several hikes you mentioned. One was Mt.Alice. What a beautiful mountain. She wasn't that easy either. Keep up the good work, and thank you. I just wished I didn't live so far from Colorado, because I would wear that book out.
Everything you want in life is on the other side of fear. -- Margaret T.
You'll never have a better chance to climb that mountain than you do today. -- Dave C.
Dude! I knew you would cave-in once we got up there. -- Dean G.
James Dziezynski
Trip Reports (5)

Thanks for the kind words! Alice is such a great adventure, I almost forgot how fun it was. Next time you're in town, drop me a line if you're up for more mountain adventures!
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
bking14ers
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bking14ers »

I will definitely keep that in mind. How long did it take you to write that book? There is a tremendous amount of hiking that you cover. What is your favorite area to hike in? I love to climb the 14ers. I did the Chicago Basin peaks this past August after reading about them in your book. It was well worth every drop of sweat lugging a 45 lb plus pack. I can only go out there once a year, so I pick the areas that are highly rated to get the most bang for my buck. I was thinking about Mount Sneffels, and Uncompahgre Peak next year. They look like fun, and the area they are in also looks great. Too many mountains, so little time... For me!
You'll never have a better chance to climb that mountain than you do today. -- Dave C.
James Dziezynski
Trip Reports (5)

I guess technically it took about 13 years and 700 or so summits :) However, I did track EVERY standard route in the book over 3 months, getting 93 summits in the process. A GREAT way to spend a summer, let me tell you! From there it was about 6 months of writing and editing, map making, etc. It was a blast though.

The San Juans are a blast and the Grenadier Range is my of my favs in Colorado. It's hard to say because every area has its charm. I like some of the peaks tucked into the back of RMNP and The Sawatch Range too. The Sneffels/Uncompahgre plan is a winner too.
DurangoJenn
14ers: 21 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DurangoJenn »

Great TR and photos. Can't beat a day like that.
bking14ers wrote:Loved your book. "Best Summit Hikes in Colorado"
+1 I was just mentioning it to a friend yesterday and sharing your afterward with him. The feelings you express in Hike Your Heart Out are so well put and every now and then I love to re-read it. I really like the way the summit entries are structured, too, and I enjoy your writing style. Definitely a book worth checking out IMO.
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

I dread the day I have to tackle some of those wild basin peaks, just a long long walk in and out. Hit Tanima on a backpacking trip over BG pass last summer, shoulda hit Alice too...
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
bking14ers
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bking14ers »

When your on top of Boulder Grand Pass. If you look to the west, or south west. There is a pretty large town that you can see. You may have to be up more towards Mt Alice, or on one of the other peaks in the RMNP area to see it. Does anyone know what town that is? I thought it might be Grand Lake. I've never been to that town before, but it's the only one I thought it might be.
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

bking14ers wrote:When your on top of Boulder Grand Pass. If you look to the west, or south west. There is a pretty large town that you can see. You may have to be up more towards Mt Alice, or on one of the other peaks in the RMNP area to see it. Does anyone know what town that is? I thought it might be Grand Lake. I've never been to that town before, but it's the only one I thought it might be.
Yeah, that would be Grand Lake.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
lavicats
14ers: 56  2 
13ers: 146
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lavicats »

You guessed correctly, Grand Lake; RMNP's western gateway. A wonderful jump-off destination for backpacking the western side of the Park.
James Dziezynski
Trip Reports (5)

Like the others said -- that is Grand Lake/Shadow Mountain Lake in the distance from Boulder Grand Pass. It's kind of a neat view through the valley down to the Grand Lake area. One of my favorite RMNP adventures is over to Nakai Peak from the Grand Lake side -- tons of good backpacking, very few crowds.