Steamboat Springs

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kristenco
14ers: 30 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Steamboat Springs

Post by kristenco »

Headed to Steamboat this month, and looking for a great hike/climb. Any ideas? I've never been to that area.

Thanks!
Kristen
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Steamboat Springs

Post by Presto »

There's tons of great snowshoeing and cross-country ski trails on Rabbit Ears Pass ... you can even hike up to the actual "rabbit ears".

Happy trails! :D
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
planet54
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by planet54 »

You can have a great time on Rabbit Ears Pass, plenty of room for everyone. I would stop at the Routt National Forest office at 925 Weiss Drive 80487 for up to date info. Any climbs of the higher peaks in that area would involve lengthy approaches so consider doing that with caution. When you are done for the day head over to the hot springs, you'll be glad that you did!
http://www.strawberryhotsprings.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

Great place, but FYI on a couple things. They have no artificial light around the pools, so take a headlamp. Also:

• No One Under 18 Allowed After Dark
• Clothing Optional After Dark
Presto
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

by OneArmSteve » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:31 pm

.. Dinner- at Mahogany Ridge Brewery & Grill
+100000 =P~ By all means, take a little bit of extra cash and treat yourself to a yummoliscious meal here. If you arrive during happy hour, they have a fantastic appetizer sampler you can get for cheap and their beers are fairly good. :D
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I would recommend Hahns Peak:

http://www.summitpost.org/hahns-peak/153540" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alternatives are Emerald Mountain or Elk Mountain.

Sand Mountain is reasonable in winter, but quite long:

http://www.summitpost.org/sand-mountain/154624" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Rabbit Ears (Peak) area actually has extremely heavy snowmobile traffic. There are better destinations in the Steamboat area in winter. West of the pass there are ski trails only (snowshoers are allowed if they step aside don't mess up the track).

As mentioned, the Devils Causway is neat, but the route up to it is very avalanche prone, so make sure to have the proper experience before heading that way.
Last edited by Scott P on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Presto
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

by Scott P » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:01 pm

The Rabbit Ears area actually has extremely heavy snowmobile traffic.
We have never had issues with snowmobiles on Rabbit Ears Pass ... they have their section of the pass to use, and foot/ski travel have their section of the pass to use. However, maybe that situation has changed in the past year and I am not aware of it. :?

And, Hahn's Peak is fun ... done that a couple of times in the winter.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

We have never had issues with snowmobiles on Rabbit Ears Pass ...
You are right that there is some good backcountry west of there.

I was speaking of Rabbit Ears Peak area rather than to the west side of the pass (West Summit Parking Area, which I assume is where you have gone). The main pass and all areas east (including around the Ears themselves) have very heavy traffic. The area around the ears claims to be the most popular snowmobiling destination in the state, though I still go to the area occasionally to climb the peaks (Elmo BM, etc.). The area around the West Summit and west is closed to snowmobiles and good for skiing/snowshoeing, though the scenery is pretty average.

I wouldn't suggest going to Rabbit Ears (peak) though, because of all the traffic.

*I actually had to wait quite a while to try and photograph the ears without a snowmobile in the picture:

*PS, to all those who snowmobile, I'm not complaining about snowmobilers at Rabbit Ears, since that is the designated area for them, just warning potential skiers/snowshoers of the high traffic there. :wink:
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
RxMike
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RxMike »

Fish Creek Falls is a pretty cool snowshoe trail close to town.

Breakfast at Creekside Cafe is pretty awesome. Specially if you like eggs benedict!
PJMiller
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PJMiller »

There are a couple of books available...Hiking The 'Boat I and II. Lots of good info if you choose to spend a little money. For snowshoeing, I prefer the Sarvis Creek Wilderness area. It's a little south and east, near Stagecoach Reservoir. You probably won't see another person if you get back far enough. Rabbit Ears Pass is nice. It's convenient with well marked trails, just stay away from the designated snowmobile trails. Heading north out of town on Hwy 129 will get you into some nice areas but very heavy snowmobile traffic. Stop at any of the local bars and they will give you lots of info and point you in the right direction. If your budget allows, Cafe Diva is by far the best restaurant in Steamboat. It's pricey, you'll need reservations but well worth it (base of the Mountain)
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

PJMiller wrote:If your budget allows, Cafe Diva is by far the best restaurant in Steamboat.
Agreed. That place is sweet. And their sous chef happens to be one of the best skiers on the mountain. Better yet, he patiently waits for me to catch up.