IPW Question - Is this possible?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pstew85
14ers: 24 
Trip Reports (0)

IPW Question - Is this possible?

Post by pstew85 »

Last summer I hiked/climbed Lone Eagle Peak from Monarch Lake. I loved the area and want to get back again this summer, but would prefer to do a long point to point to see some new stuff. So, is it possible to hike to Lone Eagle Peak from Monarch and then somehow continue on to Arapaho Pass/4th of July trailhead? Is my proposed route (in red) going to be possible? Any other ideas on how to get from Lone Eagle cirque to the 4th of July TH?
Thanks, Patrick
ipw.jpg
ipw.jpg (87.57 KiB) Viewed 961 times
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Re: IPW Question - Is this possible?

Post by Tory Wells »

If I was trying to get from Lone Eagle to the Fourth of July TH, I would backtrack to Monarch Lake and then follow the Arapaho Creek Trail to Arapaho Pass. Going off trail in the Lone Eagle Cirque and trying to pass over that ridge just doesn't look like any fun at all. Your proposed bushwhack down Wheeler Basin doesn't look like much fun either.

Another option would be to cross over Pawnee Pass and then follow the Niwot Ridge Trail to the Arapaho Glacier Trail (looks like you'd have to walk on the Rainbow Lakes Road for a little while too).

I just think being able to follow a trail would be a huge advantage for you, both speed-wise and enjoyment-wise, and there are so many excellent trails in the IPW, why not use them?
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

Do you have Roach's Guide to the IPW? If not, I would recommend it. If you are set on doing this (and it will be challenging), you're most likely going to want to go up (or out) through Lost Tribe lakes (directly south of Iroquois - Roach's approach for the watershed peaks). Probably the "easiest" method would be to use Hopi Glacier to and do a direct up-and-over of Hopi - it's easy class 2 on the south side. Hopi Glacier is pretty mellow, Fiar Glacier is pretty darn steep and you definitely wouldn't want to use that (the intended line in your map). Here is my TR from last fall when we did the Mohling Traverse and descended Hopi Glacier. I recommend an axe/crampons. I have more photos of Lost Tribes if you think they would help. I think I saw some use trails in the basin, but from 1k+ feet above who knows. Looks like a great place to explore though.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
xam_zerep
14ers: 20  2  1 
13ers: 15 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by xam_zerep »

I went over Fair Glacier from a Triangle Lake camp above Lone Eagle but continued up to Apache. I took a look down from the top of Fair over the route you are considering and would say it looks really rough. Rough as in you should be a confident mountaineer with some technical gear and understanding to attempt it, especially solo...it seemed pretty cliffy to me.

The route up Fair to Apache is well known but not super well used route. I highly recommend it. You could then finish out your trip a number of ways...I went down Queens Way to Isabella Glacier and out to the Brainard trailhead. There are other descent options of course. It is a tough full carry but a fantastic trip. If you are open to other routes out of the Lone Eagle cirque, consider this one.

If you want to go down into Wheeler and out 4th of July, I would consider a descent of the southwest face of Iroquois, which Roach calls class 3. You would possibly traverse over Mt. George from Fair Glacier to Iroquois, climb Peck glacier directly to Iroquois from Crater Lake or access the route from Hopi via Hopi glacier...I think the last route directly from crater lake would be great and has the advantage of being described in Roach's Indian Peak Guide.

-Max
pstew85
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pstew85 »

Thanks for all the great info guys! I'm tapering for a race right now but am looking forward to trying out one of these options this summer. It will be a great way to see some new areas and get in some training miles as well. I'm going to pick up Roach's guide book and do some more research.
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

Another good pick up is Hiking Grand County by Deborah Carr I got mine years ago at Tattered Cover for much less than $70.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

The route shown in blue will go. Refer to Roach's IPW guide for description of Achonee's northeast gully for ascent, followed by descent of Hopi's southeast face/ridge or Achonee's west slopes.
ipw copy.jpg
ipw copy.jpg (168.55 KiB) Viewed 771 times

The northeast gully is dry at dead center of photo. Hopi glacier on left. Pic taken from the outlet of Crater Lake.
DSC_1632.jpg
DSC_1632.jpg (317.66 KiB) Viewed 771 times

The view into Lost Tribe Lakes from near Hopi's summit.
DSC_2083.jpg
DSC_2083.jpg (323.09 KiB) Viewed 771 times

It's rugged country, with no trail from Crater Lake to Lost Tribe Lakes or possibly lower. It takes some work but it's one of the most beautiful and enjoyable places around. Sounds like a very cool trip.
pstew85
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pstew85 »

Thanks for the additional beta, Kimo.

Tory, there's a reason I'm inquiring about this as opposed to actual trails. I want to do a big loop and meet up with others who may be going a shorter distance.

I would start at 4th of July, run up Arapaho Pass to Monarch Lake. Then meet up with some others who are hiking/running Cascade Creek to Lone Eagle Peak. I just needed to figure out if there was a route from Lone Eagle cirque back to Arapahoe Pass without backtracking the entire way. Not that I'm opposed to covering 35 miles in a day... I just figured it'd be fun to explore and get off the beaten path a little bit!
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

pstew85 wrote:I would start at 4th of July, run up Arapaho Pass to Monarch Lake. Then meet up with some others who are hiking/running Cascade Creek to Lone Eagle Peak. I just needed to figure out if there was a route from Lone Eagle cirque back to Arapahoe Pass without backtracking the entire way. Not that I'm opposed to covering 35 miles in a day... I just figured it'd be fun to explore and get off the beaten path a little bit!
Big day. A few tidbits I learned on the way up Achonee/Hopi from Crater Lake:

- Make an ascending traverse on grassy ramps and ledges toward the northeast gully from the north shore of Crater Lake. The ramps and ledges are clearly visible from the east shore of the lake.

- Class 3 willows and wildflowers make a formidable barrier on the ledges above the lake. I was glad to be wearing pants. I could not have done it in shorts.

- The northeast gully sheds rocks. The area received significant rain in the days leading up to my ascent. A stiff wind seemed to toss baseball-sized rocks down the gully as I ascended. I was glad to have a helmet as I put my head down and kissed dirt. The gully can be exited on ledges to climber's right.

- The ascent from Crater Lake to the saddle between Achonee and Hopi took more time than expected.

Here are a few more pics:

Ramps and ledges rise above the lake.
DSC_1892.jpg
DSC_1892.jpg (347.09 KiB) Viewed 631 times
Some fun scrambling to be had in the upper basin.
DSC_1927.jpg
DSC_1927.jpg (318.08 KiB) Viewed 631 times
The top of the northeast gully. Exit on ledges to climber's right.
DSC_1959.jpg
DSC_1959.jpg (344.15 KiB) Viewed 631 times
Good luck!