Lake hikes near durango/ silverton/ telluride

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
betterhigh
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Lake hikes near durango/ silverton/ telluride

Post by betterhigh »

My family is coming in and after a tour of Utah and Arizona, i was hoping to get in a scenic lake/ viewpoint hike around June20th down in the San Juans. Looking for something with great scenery, 4-8 miles R/T, less than 2K elevation change and not snowbound. Thanks for your input!! c
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Lake hikes near durango/ silverton/ telluride

Post by tmathews »

betterhigh wrote:My family is coming in and after a tour of Utah and Arizona, i was hoping to get in a scenic lake/ viewpoint hike around June20th down in the San Juans. Looking for something with great scenery, 4-8 miles R/T, less than 2K elevation change and not snowbound. Thanks for your input!! c
You're not going to go wrong with Ice Lake Basin. Access to it is just a few miles north of Silverton, but it might be more than your 2K elevation gain criterion (not sure, though).

(click on image for full-size)
DurangoJenn
14ers: 21 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DurangoJenn »

tmathews wrote:
betterhigh wrote:My family is coming in and after a tour of Utah and Arizona, i was hoping to get in a scenic lake/ viewpoint hike around June20th down in the San Juans. Looking for something with great scenery, 4-8 miles R/T, less than 2K elevation change and not snowbound. Thanks for your input!! c
You're not going to go wrong with Ice Lake Basin. Access to it is just a few miles north of Silverton, but it might be more than your 2K elevation gain criterion (not sure, though).

(click on image for full-size)
+1 for Ice Lakes, 7 miles r/t, but it's 2,700 ft elevation gain. Definitely worth it though. Absolutely breathtaking. You can also take a side trip to Fuller Lake from Ice Lakes and/or do a loop to Island Lake on the return.

Highland Mary and Verde Lakes east of Silverton is an option. 1,320 ft to Highland Mary Lakes and 4 miles r/t; 1,450 ft to Verde Lakes with views of the Grenadier Range peaks and 6 miles r/t.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

It's a little longer than your 8 mile RT maximum, but at 10 miles RT a hike from Andrews Lake to Crater Lake would be a good one. Fantastic views of the Twilight group await you. Only 1100 ft. of elevation gain so maybe that will make up for the extra distance.

Pic of Crater Lake

Another pic of Crater Lake

Trail leading to Crater Lake

View of peaks near Crater Lake

Andrews Lake

Route to Crater Lake
mount_quandary
14ers: 4 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mount_quandary »

+1 again for Ice Lake Basin!! By far one of the BEST hikes we have done in Colorado!!! It was amazing!! We camped at the last part before you head up, This campsite nestled between 2 waterfalls, it actually had 3 years ago the Wing of an airplane in the site...But no matter what you choose it will be a GREAT choice!! heck you're in Colorado it's all good!
Hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky, live like you're not afraid of dying, don't be scared just enjoy the ride!
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

It's a little more than 8 miles, but Navajo Lake was pretty stunning yesterday...
Attachments
Navajo-Lake.jpg
Navajo-Lake.jpg (168.72 KiB) Viewed 565 times
betterhigh
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by betterhigh »

thanks for all the replies. I saw a pic of Ice Lakes Basin recently (within weekand half) and very snowy up high. Crater lake looks like it fits the bill well. Anyone have conditions on Blue Lakes trail coming from main trailhead and not over blue lakes pass (at yankee boy basin)?? That hike looks amazing as well. thanks! c
GeorgiaTyler
14ers: 22 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

do. ice. lakes. all of em.
Climb up Pints down
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Ice Lakes does hold snow and ice pretty late. I guess the name fits it well. I've got some friends doing Sneffels today. I'll report back on what the snow conditions are.

Here is the web page for the Durango Mountain Resort web cams. Bottom left is looking at the Twilight group near Crater Lake (right portion of cam). Looks pretty dry.

http://www.durangomountainresort.com/in ... ountaincam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GeorgiaTyler
14ers: 22 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

oh yeah, i thought your date was july 20th. June 20th at ice lakes might be pushing it. but i'd check reports. Crater should be very doable by then, climb twilights too??
Climb up Pints down
DurangoJenn
14ers: 21 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DurangoJenn »

Here's a conditions update on Ice Lakes Basin from Memorial Day weekend:

http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... es#p422213" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Crater Lake is a great hike. My now 13yo son hiked it with me two years ago and loved it and he's my reluctant hiker.