Mt Lion 6407'

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Mt Lion 6407'

Post by boudreaux »

This is one none of you have ever heard of, I never heard of it until Monday! This is a side hill off of Turkshead Peak's NE ridge above Bear Creek in Waterton Canyon with about 127' of rise. Took a gulch about 150 yards past Bear Creek, a deeply inset gulch with a big wall on the leftside, then another gulch coming from the left and climbed the backside of the peak. Did some bouldering on the way up to a flat summit with nice views of the canyon. It's about a 3.5 mile bike ride in, stashed the bike in the bushes and started up. On the way out of the canyon, I stopped at the large sign at the entrance to see what I did, and was surprised to find out that this little peak had a name after all! Only 3 people have done Turkshead officially, I would think no one has been up here before? It's just a small bump on the side of Turkshead, saw it from my many climbs of Goat. Something stored in the back of my mind for a future trip in the canyon when there is nothing else to do! Glad I remembered to finally do it. Beautiful little gulch, great adventure in the early fall when the leaves have fallen. I saw some ice in there too, might be a nice low angle ice climb when winter really sets in and the freeze in there is complete! I'll Be Back!

The gulch
The summit
Last edited by boudreaux on Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ragin Cajun
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Mt Lion 6407'

Post by boudreaux »

James, I wish I knew how, they came off my now obsolete low end phone!
Ragin Cajun