McCurdy/Ute trail conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

McCurdy/Ute trail conditions

Post by d_baker »

I don't see an option in the Peak Conditions Report section for 12ers, so I'll post here so maybe some will find it useful.

From Ute Creek TH, located near Tarryall off of County Hwy 77:
McCurdy Mtn (12,168')
~15 miles RT
~5600' elevation gain

Gear:
pack, no need for snowshoes or microspikes

Very little snow down low. From the intersection of Ute/Brookside the snow got a little deeper (boot top deep), and after crossing Bison Shoulder en route to McCurdy we encountered slightly deeper snow but all was manageable without snowshoes.
nearTreeline.JPG
nearTreeline.JPG (192.4 KiB) Viewed 710 times
ascendingToBisonShoulder.JPG
ascendingToBisonShoulder.JPG (207.34 KiB) Viewed 710 times
BisonShoulderViewto McCurdy.JPG
BisonShoulderViewto McCurdy.JPG (191.5 KiB) Viewed 710 times
Last edited by d_baker on Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
d_baker
Trip Reports (59)

Re: McCurdy/Ute trail conditions

Post by d_baker »

One more picture & map:
summitViewfromMcCurdy.JPG
summitViewfromMcCurdy.JPG (199.31 KiB) Viewed 709 times
map.JPG
map.JPG (210.25 KiB) Viewed 705 times
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Brian Thomas »

d_baker wrote:I don't see an option in the Peak Conditions Report section for 12ers, so I'll post here so maybe some will find it useful.
Very useful! Planning to go up Bison this Saturday, so thanks for posting =D>
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
d_baker
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Brian Thomas wrote:
d_baker wrote:I don't see an option in the Peak Conditions Report section for 12ers, so I'll post here so maybe some will find it useful.
Very useful! Planning to go up Bison this Saturday, so thanks for posting =D>
BThom, please see this for your prize.

(I lost my sunglasses at the TH)
d_baker
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Brian, here's a picture of Bison from the Shoulder:
Bison.JPG
Bison.JPG (201.42 KiB) Viewed 593 times
It might be snowier now with last night's snow.
We had fresh snow on the morning of our hike, but it had melted off down low by the time we descended. With the forecast for the remainder of the week, I don't think anything new will stick around, or at least at the lower elevations of the hike. Have a good time!
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Brian Thomas »

Our group went up Bison Peak today, even less snow than in the pics Darin posted. The last mile or so before treeline had up to 18 inches in some spots, but snowshoes or microspikes were not needed. And yes, I looked for your sunglasses in the trailhead parking lot but they were not to be found...
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
d_baker
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Brian Thomas wrote:Our group went up Bison Peak today, even less snow than in the pics Darin posted. The last mile or so before treeline had up to 18 inches in some spots, but snowshoes or microspikes were not needed.
The Tarryall area/lower LCW must have been missed from the storm earlier in the week. How many times up Bison does that make for you, Brian? Did you bring some never-evers up there?
Brian Thomas wrote: I looked for your sunglasses in the trailhead parking lot but they were not to be found...
....and I thank you, but I have moved on already anyway. I'm sporting a new pair of Smiths! (Note to self: do not tuck sunglasses into sternum strap or else accept the risk of them falling off when I take the pack off.)
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

Brian Thomas wrote:Our group went up Bison Peak today, even less snow than in the pics Darin posted. The last mile or so before treeline had up to 18 inches in some spots, but snowshoes or microspikes were not needed. And yes, I looked for your sunglasses in the trailhead parking lot but they were not to be found...
Nice meeting you up there Saturday, Brian and party. We sure were glad to poach your trench! Personally, I would have hated to create that w/o snowshoes! Sharon and I were planning on including McCurdy on Sunday (we camped at 11,900 on Bison), but the snow in the saddle over to McCurdy was too deep for our taste w/o snowshoes, and we had to be back in Denver fairly early Sunday

I never tire of climbing Bison! Yousa, what a gorgeous place up there.