Class 3 Climbing near boulder....

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Class 3 Climbing near boulder....

Post by DaveSwink »

ajkagy wrote:freeway is 4th class...when you have kids free soloing it in sandals then that is a good indicator, lol
Well, that is what I thought this morning. Seems about 90% of the votes on mountainproject.com disagree. Need to get the news about the kids in sandals over there.
Winter8000m
14ers: 29  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Winter8000m »

DaveSwink wrote:
ajkagy wrote:freeway is 4th class...when you have kids free soloing it in sandals then that is a good indicator, lol
Well, that is what I thought this morning. Seems about 90% of the votes on mountainproject.com disagree. Need to get the news about the kids in sandals over there.
I climbed it once at midnight with basketball shoes and no headlamp when I was in my first year of High School. :lol: :-k

Unless you go way right. I would not send someone confident on 4rth class on the 14'ers to solo Freeway, at least the left side. That also said, from what I've come across in other ranges, 14er's "4rth class" (overall) is quite soft compared to the rest of the world's description of 4rth class.

5.0 on middle to left and 4rth class to the right is what I've always thought? Maybe it's just me.
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

Winter8000m wrote:I climbed it once at midnight with basketball shoes and no headlamp when I was in my first year of High School. :lol: :-k
Classic! Glad you made out of school. I have climbed some class 4 in the Sierra Nevada and it seemed way harder, but it was also at a higher altitude than I was used to at the time.
Mohare77
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mohare77 »

right on...thank all of you for the info - I'll get that book and stay away from the 4th/5th class flatiron routes. My ability is only 3rd/4th class..... and I have no real experience with real (5.0+) climbing, only the climb gym which I don't think really counts. But it sounds like I can locate something in the area, thanks again, this information will really help me plan the trip.
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

Winter8000m wrote:
DaveSwink wrote:
I climbed it once at midnight with basketball shoes and no headlamp when I was in my first year of High School. :lol: :-k

Unless you go way right. I would not send someone confident on 4rth class on the 14'ers to solo Freeway, at least the left side. That also said, from what I've come across in other ranges, 14er's "4rth class" (overall) is quite soft compared to the rest of the world's description of 4rth class.

5.0 on middle to left and 4rth class to the right is what I've always thought? Maybe it's just me.
it is easy to get into a featureless area with not much to hold onto, then again it's maybe 45 degree steepness so traction on the shoes matters a lot more. Other than the start I would say 4th class. Definitely not a good idea to solo if you don't know the area, but plenty do with sometimes bad outcomes. I knew someone that broke their ankle landing wrong on the leap.
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

Mohare77 wrote:right on...thank all of you for the info - I'll get that book and stay away from the 4th/5th class flatiron routes. My ability is only 3rd/4th class..... and I have no real experience with real (5.0+) climbing, only the climb gym which I don't think really counts. But it sounds like I can locate something in the area, thanks again, this information will really help me plan the trip.
Just keep in mind that class 3/4 in the Flatirons generally is different than class3/4 up in the "mountains". Flatirons class 3/4 is mostly slab and there is not much in the way handholds. As others said, its all about the feet. I just wouldn't head out there expecting a scrambling experience like you get on the 14ers. Its still a blast though, and you should totally go have fun! Its just a different sort of fun.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
scramble
14ers: 35  4  6 
13ers: 23 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by scramble »

One nice place to play around for an afternoon is the red rocks by Settlers' Park: http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/index.ph ... temid=1035" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mohare77
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mohare77 »

one more question....14ers typically carry snow well into June, does this area around boulder (green mountain, eldo canyon, dino, bear peak etc.) become snow free much earlier like in may june b/c it's so much lower in elevation?
Sugar Madison
14ers: 30 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sugar Madison »

Mohare77 wrote:one more question....14ers typically carry snow well into June, does this area around boulder (green mountain, eldo canyon, dino, bear peak etc.) become snow free much earlier like in may june b/c it's so much lower in elevation?
It was, for all intents and purposes, snow-free until the storm last Tuesday (and probably will be again pretty soon... this storm is melting really fast).
mtn114
14ers: 10 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtn114 »

Rainier_Wolfcastle wrote:Back to the poster's original question. Yes there are scrambling opportunities in the Flatirons area. I would suggest buying the following book:

http://www.amazon.com/Flatiron-Classics ... 0979966329

It has like 4 class 3 routes and 20+ class 4 routes. Now, Roach (and many others in the Flatirons) will rate what many consider a 5.0 route a class 4 route...such as Roach rating Freeway class 4. But I can speak from experience that a route like Front Porch NE Ridge (from his book) is in fact class 3...and a good bit of it (plus you need to down climb it :)). If you did this route a few times and got comfortable, then you can even move bit left of the ridge and make it class 4....however, if you get too far on the face...the difficulty increases quickly (from experience #-o)!

Use caution and common sense...with any move up, be sure you are confident you could make the move back down!

Oh yeah, take note of Raptor season....over half the routes are off-limits for much of the year.
Tried this route this weekend and had a hell of a time finding the approach trail, Porch Alley Trail, summitpost (viewed whilst on the trail in my case) really helped. That said I had a hard time finding the start of this route. Are either of this photos the start? I ended up going to the far northern end, where the ground dropped off, and starting up there.
Attachments
possible start 1
possible start 1
photo 1.JPG (288.92 KiB) Viewed 1101 times
possible start 2
possible start 2
photo 2.JPG (220.94 KiB) Viewed 1101 times
I see no reason
why our dear Baron's wisdom
should ever be forgot.
Continuing to spread his wisdom on:
Rock Climbing, Climbing Shoes, Rappelling, Layering, Eddie Bauer (nice try), Pants, Helmets, Ropes, Ice Axes, Tri-Cams, Carabiners
Rainier_Wolfcastle
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 260 10
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Rainier_Wolfcastle »

Both of your pictures look familiar, and I seem to remember bushwhacking to Pic2 to start the route. Its been a few months, and I've been on a quite few routes...I can't be 100% sure its correct...but it looks right. Past the top of the terrain in the picture, does the ridge get a little more pronounced? Say where it feels like climbing left of that top ridge section is class 4/5.0 and staying on the ridge crest is class 3? If that is the case, then it is definitely the right one. Also, I remember it taking 15-20 minutes to climb up and down the whole ridge.
Shawn
mtn114
14ers: 10 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtn114 »

Photo 2 is to the left/south of Photo 1. I scrambled down the Photo 1 gully. The top of the gully seemed to connect to the ridge but had some difficult, exposed moves to get on it. I didn't scramble up Photo 2, but from your description that's not what I found, so next time out I'll try that.

Do you recall the exposure on the route?
I see no reason
why our dear Baron's wisdom
should ever be forgot.
Continuing to spread his wisdom on:
Rock Climbing, Climbing Shoes, Rappelling, Layering, Eddie Bauer (nice try), Pants, Helmets, Ropes, Ice Axes, Tri-Cams, Carabiners