Zirkel/Rawah/Routt area scrambles/snow?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Zirkel/Rawah/Routt area scrambles/snow?

Post by Monster5 »

Hi,

Does anybody know of any good routes (scrambly, couloir, scenic, or all three) in the Zirkel/Routt/Rawah/Rabit Ears areas that likely don't require snowshoes at the moment? Basically, the ranges surrounding Walden.

Preferably, mileage <10 and more spice than trail. Any elevation range. Big Agnes>Zirkel and Nokhu Crags look interesting.

Thanks!
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Zirkel/Rawah/Routt area scrambles/snow?

Post by Dave B »

The nokhu crags are comprised of the chossiest choss that ever chossed. I know they've been climbed before but I don't think I'd want to try unless everything was frozen in place.

One trip that might be on the high side of your mileage but still fun would be a traverse from Clark Peak to North Rawah. I went up there last summer to scout it our (but didn't do the traverse). Looks like mostly class 2 but the section of ridge above Island Lake looks incredimazing. There might be an easy option but it looked 4th class at a minimum.

However, there is still quite a bit of snow up there and there is a good amount of hiking to access the ridge from the east side THs. You might be able to get up on Clark Pretty quick for the Ruby Jewel Lake side, but I have no knowledge of whether or not that road is open.
Make wilderness less accessible.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Here is a crappy picture of the ridge

and a close up of the funner looking part

Monster5
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

That looks interesting. A bit chossy. I wonder how that bypass would go at the steep section - looks like a potentially low fifth dihedral. Thanks for the suggestion!

Nokhu Crag's true summit is recommended done dry via the N ridge/W slopes. I take it there isn't a continuous snow line up high. The Grand Central and Nokhuilar(sp) couloirs access the false south summit. Might be interesting.

Also saw:

Mahler - NE couloirs (possibly melted out down low). Somewhat short and moderate.
Richthofen - Possibly a NNW couloir. Not sure if it goes yet.
Static Peak - East Ridge, 3rd class granite psuedo knife edge. Possibly loop Static and Richt. and grab The Electrode on the return through the Static/Electrode saddle.
North/South Diamond Peak - Possibly some tame SW facing couloirs, followed by talus. Views.
Big Agnes - SW face via Slovenia, loop with Little Agnes. Heading over to Zirkel might push the distance.
Parika - good views of the Never Summers
Sentinel - good views of the valley
Bethel - E Ridge looks interesting, but unknown approach. The SE face via Aqua Fria might have some lines, but they look pretty steep. Same with The Dome's E face. Long gentle approach along the CDT.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Are you interested in the west side of the Zirkel wilderness as well? It is the side I know, so I couldn't answer as much as the Walden side.

The west face of Zirkel, for example has some really nice couloirs and the Sawtooth Range (northern Mt Zirkel wilderness) has some of the classic Colorado scrambling/climbing and the rock is really solid as well.

The Rabbit Ears Range is mostly either rolling or terrible choss, but there are a few hidden granite climbs in there.

Obviously the Rawahs have lots of stuff, but the Front Range guys could probably be more detailed than I could.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Monster5
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Certainly! Looks like I'll be between Walden and SLC quite frequently over the next year - appreciated your SP pages. They're giving me ideas on routes in the Wasatch too.
Scott P wrote:Are you interested in the west side of the Zirkel wilderness as well? It is the side I know, so I couldn't answer as much as the Walden side.

The west face of Zirkel, for example has some really nice couloirs and the Sawtooth Range (northern Mt Zirkel wilderness) has some of the classic Colorado scrambling/climbing and the rock is really solid as well.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Monster5 wrote: Also saw:
I will say that Static Peak is in a beautiful setting if you could set up a traverse over to Rhichtofen that could be a fun loop. Or even with one of the Mahler couloirs -> traverse to Richtofen (3rd class) and on to Static Peak (unknown) and out the American Lakes Basin.

Parika Peak is a nice setting as well but I don't remember it having to much in the way of challenging terrain (i've only camped at Parika Lake)

Diamond peaks are very short could be done without ever hitting anything harder than class 2 but it you were to traverse the ridge from Montgomery Pass you could greatly extend your time above treeline and maybe get something interesting happening.

I will say the Nokhuloir and Grand Central Couloir are in an amazing setting, they're both probably still in and will be for a while but I think it would be difficult to get the summit from either of them (picture is from June 14th 2010)