Goat Mountain: 12 for 12, Got the Grid!

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Goat Mountain: 12 for 12, Got the Grid!

Post by boudreaux »

Who or what is the Grid? Climbing a peak one time in every month of the year! Just completed that thing on my fav little peak in the foothills. Nevermind it's not ranked or anything, but the challenge has been met. A long ridge run to a rocky summit in Waterton Canyon, a 7+ mile RT and 2300' of gain. Can be very hot, no water sources, no escape routes either, very committing class 1 ridge.

It was a breezy, cool morning, but by the time I summited at 10am it was smoking hot! Thank goodness the Platte is right there in Waterton, got in there to soak for a while.

There are other crazy goals to do on same peak like the once a week peak, or every calender day a peak. That one can be a different peak, but one peak for everyday of the year, could take a long time, but you get the picture, pure insanity!
Ragin Cajun
IkeB
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 50 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Goat Mountain: 12 for 12, Got the Grid!

Post by IkeB »

Congrats
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Congrats. Sounds like a great peak for a grid: close to home, and accessible year-round. I started doing the same on a few summits in Garden of the Gods, but have gotten pulled away with other things lately.

I don't know if you're on Lists of John, but they do track such things over there. Just plug in your peak (add it to your list of completed peaks, and repeated peaks, with the correct dates), and then go to that peak's page, click on "View Ascent Detail," and "Click here for calendar grid presentation." It will show you who on that site has done that peak, and in which months, listed by ranking (number of months completed). You would likely be #1 on Goat Mountain.
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

Susan: Yep I'm on there too! But haven't been very active in recording my ascents in years! I've seen your name a time or two in some registers! I usually don't go up to the big mountains every week, so Goat was easy to go do to get my workout in. Yep, probably am the only one who has done the peak more than a couple times. Hikers have been climbing this little gem since the 70's, that reg is gone, but is mentioned in the one put there by Garratt in 2000, I have since added a new one in 2012. Probably likely I will complete the 52x/yr list in the next year or two. I guess I will have to move on to another Waterton peak to keep this going. I don't know the significance of this peak, but it is on the computer drawn map of the Front Range. I was up on Pikes last year at Barr Camp looking at the map while resting, and lo and behold, Goat was right there in the middle, what a surprise! I laughed out loud and startled the camp caretaker Neil?

Thanks Ike, great little one and done for most. I think for some of us, Like Susan and I, we have our foothill friends close by for the days we don't feel like it so much! Easy to get to and get great satisfaction out of it instead of doing nothing at all and watching TV all day, eating ice cream! :lol:
Ragin Cajun