South Twin Sister, RMNP

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Rick Canter
14ers: 31 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (13)

South Twin Sister, RMNP

Post by Rick Canter »

Hi folks,

Pretty hard to perform a good search on South Twin Sister, as "south" and "twin" and even "sister" come up a lot!

It is not far from the North Twin to the South Twin. Is this Class 2, or 3? Is this short traverse pretty straightforward or would anyone want to provide some advice on the best way from the North Twin to the South Twin and back over to the North Twin.

Thanks in advance, Rick
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Re: South Twin Sister, RMNP

Post by ChrisRoberts »

If you head straight up it, you might hit a little class 3. I'm confident you can keep it at class 2 if you search out a route. Nothing about the climb stood out to me as being difficult, besides the general steepness.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Easy done!

Been over to South Twin many times. What I usually do, is scramble up the main summit (eastern summit), sign the register, then scramble down to the east (class 2+) and follow the ridge/saddle south over to the other summit. I erected a large cairn up there last year.
It's no more then class-2 for the walk over. I retrace my footsteps back.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

It's fun and straightforward. Going up the center rock rib is a fun, short class 3. You can class 2+ it by going up and down below the rib. Toughest part is navigating the deadfall below the east north sister, but that's pretty short and not bad at all. Still takes a bit of time to get out and back from it even though it's fairly close - maybe 90 minute detour total without stopping, but there were snowdrifts when I did it.
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

When you arrive at the top of the trail to Twin Sisters Peak you go left (east) to the summit of TSP. There is a marker and register. As mentioned, just continue down and east into the woods and then head to the right (south) to the connecting saddle and then back up Twin Sisters Mountain. To keep it easier stay to the right of the rock rib until you reach the top then hang a left and you're there. Should be able to keep it class 2. My understanding is the south peak is actually Twin Sisters Mountain so you might find more if you search that term. Twin Sisters Peak has an east and a west summit but the east is higher.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz