Scenic Summit County hikes with kids

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Scenic Summit County hikes with kids

Post by PaliKona »

I want to take my 2 year old and friends + kids on an easy scenic hike in Summit this week. They'll be in packs. I'm looking for a hike with lots of wildflowers and great views. I remember someone mentioning an easy scenic trail north of Silverthorne, with great views to the Gores. I cannot remember what it is. Anyway, any recs? Thanks!
Mountainspirit
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Scenic Summit County hikes with kids

Post by Mountainspirit »

North of Silverthorne and near Heeney is Cataract Lake. There's also Rainbow Lake in Frisco. For a longer hike outside of Breck, try Mowhawk Lake. All great family options.
hunterwf
14ers: 37 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hunterwf »

+1 on Mohawk lakes. Mine ruins, waterfalls and lakes all in one hike.
There are other Annapurnas in the lives of men.

- Maurice Herzog
PaliKona
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

In fact, I did Mohawk Lakes last week ;)
It was fantastic. Looking for something high up this time, like Shrine Mtn.
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

The hike north of Silverthorne you might be thinking of is Acorn Creek. Not a very busy spot but it has great views of the Gores. I was there yesterday and the wildflowers are still looking good.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

It was fantastic. Looking for something high up this time, like Shrine Mtn.
Would probably be a good choice. In summer, it's really a short hike.

Also consider Mount Royal.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.