Lists of Peaks to climb

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Lists of Peaks to climb

Post by 12ersRule »

Everything in Colorado north of I-70, and if I ever get done with that, move to a community south of I-70 like Durango, Gunnison, or Salida.
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

Roanoke County VA, the 14ers and finish the VA above 5K. Dream list RMNP but I better learn some technical skills to do that one.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Kent McLemore wrote:Steve Gladbach gave me the idea for this list: the ranked 13ers in the Storm Peak Quad.
1 down, 40+ to go!
I like this idea for a "list," but not sure what quad I would look at completing. I need to learn my quads first!
For current lists of mine, I would like to do the alphabet, finish the 14ers & cents, and maybe the bi-cents.
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

dpage wrote:...Dream list RMNP but I better learn some technical skills to do that one.
Let me know whenever you need a partner for Rocky! I love it up there.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Next list is ranked peaks of the Abajo's and the Henry's
Interesting. I've done most of the ranked peaks in the Henry Mountains, and several in the Abajos, but probably won't finish the Abajos since I enjoy the canyons surrounding them more and some the peaks themselves aren't as interesting as some of the nearby ranges (though there are still some really good peaks there).

The Henry Mountains have some really spectacular peaks, but not many climb them because they stick to the highpoint in the range (Mount Ellen). The most spectacular of the peaks down there are in the south of the range and mainly Hillers (especially from the south), Holmes, Ellsworth, and The Horn. It's very seldom that you run into people down there.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
PatsSox09
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by PatsSox09 »

let's not forget the Northern Rockies, Wyoming Montana and Idaho.

susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

TomPierce wrote:Funny, Britt! Actually I approached one of the guidebook companies (I think it was Fixed Pin, one of the rock guide publishers?) who was soliciting for new guides and proposed that idea. They were very nice but said that (a) the market for that would be very limited (I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked! :lol: ) and (b) they thought the essence of adventure climbing was, well...adventure and that a person doing that would actually not want a guide. But if someone else wants to go for it, happy to help...just don't make me reclimb all those peaks!
-Tom
That's not surprising... my first book proposal was 13 pages long, and included a marketing plan, reviews of all potential competition, etc., and it was still rejected. Publishers make a large investment in authors (editing, formatting, printing, marketing, sales, etc.) and won't even consider a book that isn't going to appeal to a large audience. I've had three proposals accepted - and six rejected. You can always self-publish, but then you have to actually pay a publisher, and do all the marketing and sales yourself, too. It's tough to recoup your own initial investment that way, never mind make a profit.

If I was going to self-publish I would probably start by e-publishing straight to Kindle, and market the guides via social media. Amazon has a good set-up for new authors. If you get enough interest, then you might decide to print-to-order your guides, or you might get picked up by a publisher. Lots of options out there for potential authors these days!

On another note... if you're going to use a LoJ list for a guide, I would recommend getting permission from John first, right?
BrianWright
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BrianWright »

We have a personal list of peaks that just look fun, doesn't matter their height or where they are. Like this non-centennial 13er:

"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." Ernest Hemingway

http://www.coloradomountaineering.com