Trails near Boulder

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Trails near Boulder

Post by CarpeDM »

jsdratm wrote:
Jeff Valliere wrote:Just an FYI, Bear Peak and S. Boulder became accessible again as of today:

https://bouldercolorado.gov/pages/osmp-trails9-21
Awesome news, Shadow Canyon is open as well! It was my go-to winter hike two years ago. I am planning to schedule a bunch of CMC hikes for it.
Be aware! Look at the accompanying map. Access to Bear & South Boulder Peaks is currently open ONLY via the Shanahan trails -- accessed in the neighborhood. For example, neither the South Mesa nor the NCAR trailheads are open.
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

CarpeDM wrote:Be aware! Look at the accompanying map. Access to Bear & South Boulder Peaks is currently open ONLY via the Shanahan trails -- accessed in the neighborhood. For example, neither the South Mesa nor the NCAR trailheads are open.
Shucks, I couldn't see the map images since they are blocked at work. Hopefully the south mesa trailhead will reopen soon. :| I guess I could do the Shanahan trailhead, but it would add mileage.
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

jsdratm wrote:
CarpeDM wrote:Be aware! Look at the accompanying map. Access to Bear & South Boulder Peaks is currently open ONLY via the Shanahan trails -- accessed in the neighborhood. For example, neither the South Mesa nor the NCAR trailheads are open.
Shucks, I couldn't see the map images since they are blocked at work. Hopefully the south mesa trailhead will reopen soon. :| I guess I could do the Shanahan trailhead, but it would add mileage.
Actually, SoBo from Shanahan or Cragmoor via Fern and over Bear is very comparable to the Shadow Canyon route from S. Mesa, perhaps even a touch shorter now considering the recent re-routes of the Homestead and Towhee trails.
ballackout
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ballackout »

Okay, I have a sort of similar question as the OP so I figured I didnt need a new thread.

Parents are coming into town this weekend and I am looking for a good front range hike (read Denver, Boulder area) that avoids problems associated with flood closures and government shutdown. And maybe has some good color still? Too much to ask? I am not necessarily looking for a summit, just something that my (55 yr old) parents will enjoy.

Any thoughts? Whats the deal with the IPW? Does 4th of july TH have a gate?

/end thread drift.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Two suggestions about a half hour away:

1) The Boulder Canyon Road has reopened. its always nice to look at the waterfalls (not much of a hike). Plus a fairly flat hike around Barker Dam in Nederland. Hopefully some part of the Canyon Road or Nederland is at peak tree color now.

2) Golden, about a half hour to the south was less damaged. You could go to Lookout Mountain, to Buffalo Bills mountaintop gravesite and museum. Or the Golden Cliffs on North Table Mountain.
roguejackalope
14ers: 39  6 
13ers: 25 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by roguejackalope »

peter303 wrote:1) The Boulder Canyon Road has reopened. its always nice to look at the waterfalls (not much of a hike). Plus a fairly flat hike around Barker Dam in Nederland. Hopefully some part of the Canyon Road or Nederland is at peak tree color now.
I believe that Boulder Falls is closed and has been all year.
"Hiking is just walking where it's okay to pee" - Demetri Martin