Trails near Boulder

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Trails near Boulder

Post by Wildernessjane »

I think it goes without saying that any of these trails could be pretty muddy right now. On the Jeffco Open Space FB page, Mount Falcon was recommended as one of the "better places to try" as things dry out. I also think that lower section of the trail would have the potential to stay muddy much longer.

Disclosure: I am not a trail runner but I am an avid mountain biker.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
Kruck
14ers: 7 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kruck »

I don't have much to add, but as an avid trail maintenance volunteer in a completely different ranger district/ municipality, I would advise all those interested to see if trail crew volunteers are needed in your area after the proverbial dust settles. In my current area, a 2-inch event in an hour or so can cause some serious damage to "well maintained" trails. I can't imagine what 17 inches in a week can do. While there's almost certainly more pressing infratructure needs in your area right now, eventually there might be a lot of trail clean up to do. I'd advise those who can run a long handled tool for a few hours to do so if there's a need later on.

Also, St. Vrain state park at the corner of 119 and I25 offers endless mind numbing flat loops around an old disheveled quarry to the therapeutic sound of semi truck engine brakes. \:D/
Sausage, mushroom, and green pepper
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

Kruck wrote:I don't have much to add, but as an avid trail maintenance volunteer in a completely different ranger district/ municipality, I would advise all those interested to see if trail crew volunteers are needed in your area after the proverbial dust settles. In my current area, a 2-inch event in an hour or so can cause some serious damage to "well maintained" trails. I can't imagine what 17 inches in a week can do. While there's almost certainly more pressing infratructure needs in your area right now, eventually there might be a lot of trail clean up to do. I'd advise those who can run a long handled tool for a few hours to do so if there's a need later on. /
Thanks for the reminder! I'm already signed up to help out (http://jeffco.us/parks/volunteer/trail-building/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Jeffco Open Space is anticipating the cleanup process will last into the spring. It doesn't look like Boulder has a process in place yet to sign up as a volunteer. They are working on assessing the damage at this point.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

Wildernessjane wrote:
Kruck wrote:I don't have much to add, but as an avid trail maintenance volunteer in a completely different ranger district/ municipality, I would advise all those interested to see if trail crew volunteers are needed in your area after the proverbial dust settles. In my current area, a 2-inch event in an hour or so can cause some serious damage to "well maintained" trails. I can't imagine what 17 inches in a week can do. While there's almost certainly more pressing infratructure needs in your area right now, eventually there might be a lot of trail clean up to do. I'd advise those who can run a long handled tool for a few hours to do so if there's a need later on. /
Thanks for the reminder! I'm already signed up to help out (http://jeffco.us/parks/volunteer/trail-building/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Jeffco Open Space is anticipating the cleanup process will last into the spring. It doesn't look like Boulder has a process in place yet to sign up as a volunteer. They are working on assessing the damage at this point.
kudos to JeffCO on getting organized, sounds like they want to get the trails back on track ASAP
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

FWIW, the Mt. Sanitas ridge trail is still in pretty good shape. The valley trail, however, looks like Baghdad.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

USAKeller wrote:FWIW, the Mt. Sanitas ridge trail is still in pretty good shape. The valley trail, however, looks like Baghdad.
Is Sanitas open now? That mountain has a special place in my heart :roll:
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

FireOnTheMountain wrote:
USAKeller wrote:FWIW, the Mt. Sanitas ridge trail is still in pretty good shape. The valley trail, however, looks like Baghdad.
Is Sanitas open now? That mountain has a special place in my heart :roll:
How many laps did you do again? :P

I sure hope that Boulder sets up volunteer opportunities quickly before we all explode!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
aussie56
14ers: 26 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aussie56 »

The Jeffco website has a list of closed parks and trails as well as flood damaged trails - it is a long list which i suggest you consult before following some of the advice in this thread.
WebFoot
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by WebFoot »

All Boulder Open Space trailheads are closed until futher notice.

https://bouldercolorado.gov/osmp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry,
John
goingup
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 295 1 4
Trip Reports (33)

Post by goingup »

I just finished running the Dakota Ridge/Matthew Winters loop. The trail on both sides of 26 is in REALLY good shape. The initial up to gain Dakota Ridge shows signs of a river that had once ran through it. On the Matthew Winters side there are puddles and a few creek crossings that you can jump over (one that you need to actually cross). I frequently run this loop and I have never seen water on it. It was quite beautiful with the creeks and everything is so green and grown in. It was quite enjoyable. Closer to the parking lot you can see signs of a creek turned into a raging river but all and all these trails are in EXCELLENT condition.

I came across 4 snakes sun bathing on the trail. I have never seen snakes on the trails here but they were out in full glory today. Not sure if this is flood related or just because I ran at a later hour than usual...
through being cool
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

Some photos of the recently assessed trail damage in Boulder OSMP:

https://www-static.bouldercolorado.gov/ ... 171558.pdf
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Is the road to the 4th of July TH open and clear?