Trails near Boulder

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Re: Trails near Boulder

Post by USAKeller »

FireOnTheMountain wrote:
USAKeller wrote:FWIW, the Mt. Sanitas ridge trail is still in pretty good shape. The valley trail, however, looks like Baghdad.
Is Sanitas open now? That mountain has a special place in my heart :roll:
No, it's still blocked off and police are only letting residents by ID up our canyon. I know someone who sort of poached it! I really should have prefaced my original post with "when it opens up..."

I can let you know when it does open back up though!
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

From the Jeffco FB page website: "I'm happy to report that the trails up here (Centennial Cone) are in great shape!" Although there are some puddles and muddy spots on Elk Range, "Centennial Cone is in good shape and a solid option for visitors."
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

Is there a trail up centennial cone?
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

oldschoolczar wrote:Is there a trail up centennial cone?
No.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

The OP was looking for places to go trail running since all of the trails around Boulder are (were?) closed. I was referring to an earlier post with an update about Centennial Cone, which is a Jeffco Open Space Park outside of Golden.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Here's one of the first trail volunteer opportunities in Boulder. Too bad it's on the same day at the Fall Gathering.

https://www.volgistics.com/ex/portal.dl ... 39641&OR=1
Fifty volunteers needed Saturday, October 5th at the Silver Lake Ditch to dig out sediment that was deposited from the recent flood. REI is co-sponsoring this project with City of Boulder, OSMP. Lunch and a free T-shirt are provided by REI!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Here is a link to a listing of all open trails:

https://bouldercolorado.gov/pages/osmp-trails9-21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And a press release from last night:
NEWS      
Thursday, Sept. 26, 2013

Media Contacts:

Jim Reeder, Open Space and Mountain Parks, 303-413-7640

http://www.bouldercolorado.gov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Open Space and Mountain Parks has now opened one-third of 145-mile trail system

The City of Boulder’s Open Space and Mountain Parks (OSMP) Department opened several more trails today, and has now opened one-third of its 145-mile system since flooding caused extensive damage. OSMP has also opened 10 trailheads.

On Thursday, OSMP opened:

Flatirons Vista trails, including Prairie Vista, Flatirons Vista North and a portion of Flatirons Vista South. The Flatirons Vista trailhead remains closed. Trail users can park at the Greenbelt Plateau Trailhead parking lot.
Marshall Mesa trailhead and trails associated with the trailhead, except the High Plains trail.
The 1st/2nd Flatiron trail. Closures to climbing are still in place.

Many of the trails that have been opened have received temporary repairs, such as bridges. Permanent repairs, re-routes or reconstruction will be made as time and funds allow.

All open OSMP trails are listed at http://bit.ly/15msF85" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and at BoulderFloodInfo.net. Newly opened trails are currently accessible from dawn to dusk, and visitors must remain on-trail because of potential hazards and safety risks.

OSMP is now using volunteers to help the department rebuild trails. Since flooding receded, volunteers have been assisting OSMP in closing dangerous areas.
EDIT: RMNP status update, 93% open, http://www.dailycamera.com/top-stories/ ... y-reopened" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

On Thursday, OSMP opened:

Flatirons Vista trails, including Prairie Vista, Flatirons Vista North and a portion of Flatirons Vista South. The Flatirons Vista trailhead remains closed. Trail users can park at the Greenbelt Plateau Trailhead parking lot.
Marshall Mesa trailhead and trails associated with the trailhead, except the High Plains trail.
This is interesting. We drove by a few trailheads yesterday at dusk, one of which was Marshall Mesa. It still had a "Closed" sign up. But you could still get into the parking lot, unlike South Mesa and Doudy Draw.

I haven't hiked from Flatirons Vista in several years, but doesn't that still link up with all the Doudy Draw trails as well? Maybe they just put signs/barricades up at certain points.
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

Yes, trails are blocked off with buck-rail fencing, orange plastic mesh fencing and yellow police tape. The last couple of days I've seen several OSMP employees stationed at various spots along the open trails, presumably making sure that people don't leave those trails. It seems like Boulder didn't open any more trails today, so we're still at 1/3 of the trail miles open, zero at night and zero off-trail open. Meanwhile, RMNP is 93% open (trail & off-trail), with this statement on their website:

"Backcountry travelers will encounter different conditions than they have experienced in the past. Most of Rocky Mountain National Park is designated wilderness, where self-reliance and adventure are expected. Hikers should be prepared to take responsibility for their own actions; search and rescue may be delayed. Be prepared to stay overnight even if you are a day hiker. Hiking poles may be helpful on uneven trails. Route finding skills may be required. Carry a map and compass and other backcountry travel essentials. Expect missing foot bridges, uneven trail surfaces, unstable slopes, falling trees due to soil moisture, rutted trails, damaged water bars and steps, standing water, difficult water crossings, and missing directional signs. Be prepared; hike at your own risk."

Oddly, Boulder opened the 1st/2nd Flatiron Trail, which goes by both the bottom and the top of both Flatirons, but climbing those rocks is still not allowed. Frustration with the slow pace of re-opening is palpable in Boulder. Literally hundreds of people are chomping at the bit to pitch in and help re-build the trails. Yet, so far OSMP has offered only 1 trail project last Weds afternoon, which was announced Weds morning. And they're asking for 50 volunteers for 10/5 to help clean out a ditch. The degree to which the Open Space staff are out of touch with this community continues boggle my mind.
jpenny
14ers: 30  4 
13ers: 38 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jpenny »

Did Falcon the day after the original post and it was fine. Also did the Centennial Cone in Golden yesterday and no damage whatsoever. Great suggestions everyone. Even if they were to reopen Boulder today I believe I would still have to go and check out the rest of the recommendations. Had a blast. And pbakwin, I couldn't agree more. I would love to help get these trails open ASAP. I also believe I saw you on the Bells and Pyramid on Saturday. I was wearing the UD pack.
Thanks a lot for the suggestions including the book. I'm going to have to look into that.
Also, does anyone know the Indian Peaks conditions? Boulder Canyon road is supposed to open within a month and I would like to go up there. I assume that it is fine but would like to make sure.
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

Just an FYI, Bear Peak and S. Boulder became accessible again as of today:

https://bouldercolorado.gov/pages/osmp-trails9-21
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

Jeff Valliere wrote:Just an FYI, Bear Peak and S. Boulder became accessible again as of today:

https://bouldercolorado.gov/pages/osmp-trails9-21
Awesome news, Shadow Canyon is open as well! It was my go-to winter hike two years ago. I am planning to schedule a bunch of CMC hikes for it.