Twin Sisters Accessible?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Liquid Shadow
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 68 3 2
Trip Reports (4)

Twin Sisters Accessible?

Post by Liquid Shadow »

Just wondering if Twin Sisters Peaks (the ones next to Longs) are accessible right now in the wake of the flood and the government shutdown? Highway 119 into Nederland just opened yesterday so I'm planning on taking some people there on Friday. Any info is appreciated :mrgreen:
-OwenZ
ap snow
14ers: 58  58  16 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Twin Sisters Accessible?

Post by ap snow »

Pretty sure it is still closed. I flew over it yesterday and was shocked at the size of the mud/landslides. Meeker also had a huge mudslide.
IMG_7094 2.JPG
IMG_7094 2.JPG (304.03 KiB) Viewed 943 times
Heres a little edit I made of the slides.
[youtubevideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSRO6wm1 ... ZbkPMRhkWw[/youtubevideo]
http://www.youtube.com/user/Austinporzo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Massive mudslide has closed the Twin Sisters trail. Here's another view of the slide from Peak-to-Peak highway.
20130918_165614_resized.jpg
20130918_165614_resized.jpg (167.29 KiB) Viewed 933 times
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

Wow, that is a big slide! I hope we can get it open for winter since it is a nice winter hike, but then again we would be lucky to have any RMNP access at all with the way things are going.
Liquid Shadow
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 68 3 2
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Liquid Shadow »

Thanks for the info guys. I knew about the mudslide but I guess I thought you can just cross the slide on foot. Oh well maybe we'll try James Peak instead.
-OwenZ
HikerCurt
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by HikerCurt »

Does anyone have any info/pictures on the Meeker mudslide? I enjoyed climbing Meeker via the loft route at the end of August and was wondering where the slide was in comparison.

Best wishes again to those affected by the floods and susequent damage.
ap snow
14ers: 58  58  16 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ap snow »

HikerCurt wrote:Does anyone have any info/pictures on the Meeker mudslide? I enjoyed climbing Meeker via the loft route at the end of August and was wondering where the slide was in comparison.

Best wishes again to those affected by the floods and susequent damage.
In the video I posted you can see the slide on Meeker. Starts at 0:58 in the video. Looks like it started above tree line on the east face and went all the way to the road/St.Malo.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Austinporzo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RobertPetrowsky
14ers: 20  4 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RobertPetrowsky »

Crazy video. I need to get in the air and check it out soon. It looks like our plans for Friday are moving south?
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

@ap snow - what reservoir is that early in your video with all of the brown water? It looks like there will
be some of the same issues that Denver had with their mountain reservoirs after the Hayman fire.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

DaveLanders wrote:@ap snow - what reservoir is that early in your video with all of the brown water? It looks like there will
be some of the same issues that Denver had with their mountain reservoirs after the Hayman fire.
Thats Button Rock/Ralph Price Reservoir.

Liquid Shadow wrote:Thanks for the info guys. I knew about the mudslide but I guess I thought you can just cross the slide on foot. Oh well maybe we'll try James Peak instead.
Twin Sisters is technically RMNP land, so while I believe you could cross the mudslide area easily, it's closed for that reason too.

I'd imagine a good number of the switchbacks on that trail were in the path.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!