Golden Gate State Park

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Golden Gate State Park

Post by jomagam »

Can anyone tell me if you can get into the park for free if you leave your car at the side of the road for example here:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.83293 ... 18&iwloc=A
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Golden Gate State Park

Post by tlongpine »

Probably, but why not pay? It's only $7, and you'll be supporting the park.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

tlongpine wrote:Probably, but why not pay? It's only $7, and you'll be supporting the park.
Sure, though maybe they just want to discourage car traffic *in* the park. Why would they build parking lots right outside of it ?

Also, is it lame to feel wrong having to pay for hiking ? It's not like I couldn't afford it, but still...
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

There is no "entrance" to Golden Gate CANYON State park. As such, the rangers drive around and ticket those without a pass. If that parking lot is part of the park and not just overflow for the ranger station you might need to pay. There will be signs at the parking lot stating whether a fee is required or not.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

That parking lot is absolutely within the park and is one of the trailheads. You pay for gas, gear, and food to go hiking. Why worry about paying $7 for the park?

http://www.parks.state.co.us/SiteCollec ... _FINAL.pdf
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

jomagam wrote:
tlongpine wrote:Probably, but why not pay? It's only $7, and you'll be supporting the park.
Sure, though maybe they just want to discourage car traffic *in* the park. Why would they build parking lots right outside of it ?

Also, is it lame to feel wrong having to pay for hiking ? It's not like I couldn't afford it, but still...
Because preservation of public spaces isn't cheap (even if the price to access it is), and it's probably going to cost that much in fuel to get there. The good news, however, is that there are countless places to hike in Colorado that are free of charge - for those that have a principled objection to user fees.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

You should get a state parks pass. You'll be supporting your parks and public lands AND never have to worry about carrying cash around for your entrance fee or where to park. If you haven't been to the newly opened Staunton State Park, there is good hiking/trailrunning, mountain biking, and some sweet rock climbing/scrambling. In the metro area, it'll also get you into Eldorado Canyon, Castlewood Canyon, Chatfield, Cherry Creek, Roxborough....and then of course all the others throughout the state.

And the pass is always good for a year, regardless of when you purchase it.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
thetoddman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by thetoddman »

The parking areas you pointed to have State Fee Area signs on both sides of the parking lot. It is less than a block from the Park Visitor Center so you will almost certainly be ticketed if you park there without paying. Also all the neighboring Gilpin County Roads have signs that you may not park along side of the road (probably in cooperation with GGSP to keep people from trying to walk into the park for free). I used to live just across the street from the park and can assure you that its patrolled heavily.

I'd also suggest paying the fee - it's a very good park to hike, well worth the money.