Centennial Cone conditions ?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Centennial Cone conditions ?

Post by jomagam »

Has anyone been there lately ? Any ice on the trails ?
SteveBonowski
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Centennial Cone conditions ?

Post by SteveBonowski »

At this time of year, foothills hikers would be advised to carry micro-spikes or some other form of traction device.
jpenny
14ers: 30  4 
13ers: 38 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jpenny »

If you are talking about the loop in Clear Creek Canyon, you won't find anything more than a few patches of snow. I went two weeks ago and it was clear. I do all the trails in Boulder all winter long and the only trail I have ever needed a traction device on is the trails near the summit of Bear Peak, and most of the time I still didn't bring any.
I run them too and I still don't find them necessary. Maybe bring them after a storm in my opinion.
Steve Nicholls
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 168
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Steve Nicholls »

Was out there a few weeks ago. Chilly in the early am but absolutely no snow. Was up at White Ranch last weekend, a few patches of snow on north facing slopes. But, no issues.
usfgal
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by usfgal »

I ran there 2 days ago. There were a few places with snow on the ground, but not very much, and it wasn't an issue. No traction was necessary.