Cameron Cone

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
piper14er
14ers: 58 
13ers: 562
Trip Reports (100)

Cameron Cone

Post by piper14er »

This may be a bit arcane but what is the best route? Can you follow the cog ? A route map would help. Thanks.
KentonB
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Cameron Cone

Post by KentonB »

Piper14er,

I'm at work right now, but when I get home I can send you detailed instructions, pics, and .gpx tracks for your GPS if you like.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

There's a side trail near the midpoint of the Palmer-Redrock loop that goes to Crystal Park. The Pikes Peak Atlas shows this continuing past the houses and up Camerons Cone. Has anybody ever tried this route? Would the homeowners arrest and/or shoot you if you tried it? (Probably, since I think there's a No Trespassing sign at the end of the side trail, but I thought I'd ask anyway...)

The CMC guide mentions that you can traverse from the Garfield-Arthur saddle two miles to Camerons, but I think they call it "uninteresting", besides which the Bear Creek and Cheyenne Canyon approaches to that area are currently closed. Maybe next summer this would work.

edit: I just found this excellent TR/route description from IHikeLikeAGirl - this might be the best route of all.
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=13483" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Hoot
13ers: 150
Trip Reports (36)

Post by Hoot »

Here's a topo of the route we used in 2009. It avoids private property except for a brief crossing of the Cog Railway.
piper14er
Trip Reports (100)

Post by piper14er »

I should have checked trip reports, who knew. Thanks for the map and info, KB, Hoot and Jim. I have a few peaks just there that I have wanted to get and this helps.
KentonB
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

Piper14er,

The Trip Report by IHikeLikeAGirl and the path Hoot provided is essentially the same path I took (up the Englemann Trail). There are places where the trail gets a little difficult to follow, but it does avoid private property if done correctly. If you'd like .gpx tracks to upload to your GPS, send me a private message with your e-mail address and I'll be happy to send them to you.

There is a similar but alternative route I saw someone do once that takes you up the Barr Trail, then on a spur (Trail 706) over to Ruxton Park where you can approach Cameron Cone from the NW. I can give you more specifics on that route if you like as well (we used it to climb Sheep Mountain, Marys Mountain, and Grandview Rock).

Any other routes would involve private property issues (Palmer Trail) or closures as Jim Davies mentioned above.
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

I joined IHikeLikeAGirl earlier this year for a hike up Cameron Cone via her route description. I'd highly recommend it. Lots of elevation gain in a quick hurry with some interesting scenery. Good workout alternative to the crowds on the Incline.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
piper14er
Trip Reports (100)

Post by piper14er »

Thanks KB I will send a message.
mtgirl I read I hilelikeagirl's report, looks good thanks.