South Boulder Peak via South East Ridge

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Sugar Madison
14ers: 30 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Re: South Boulder Peak via South East Ridge

Post by Sugar Madison »

Roach has a short description of this on pg 52-53 of "Flatiron Classics" (the original one, from 1987. Hard book to find now. Not sure if the new version has it anymore).

Every time I'm on S Boulder peak, I think about doing that traverse... but I've never gotten around to it. Looks pretty committing.

Sanitarado is a great outing. Better if done "peaky style", dropping all the way back to the Mesa Trail between each peak. Good training for "something-something" if you do it out-n-back. :wink:
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

Couldn't find anything in my copy of Roach's 2nd addition. That's probably OK. I should peek at the first volume one of these wintery days for fun - maybe the (alpine) library in Golden has it?

I'm getting over a finger injury I sustained, when I tripped going down besides the First Flatiron weeks ago. Bashed my pinky + ring finger on a rock and must have sprained the heck out of it, as well as bruised something. I'm rarin' to do something really long and silly (like this route) and requiring running shoes and rock shoes, but waiting for my hand to heal has been an exercise in patience.

Always the tiniest of things.
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

Sugar, do you mean "something-gnihtemos"???
Sugar Madison
14ers: 30 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sugar Madison »

pbakwin wrote:Sugar, do you mean "something-gnihtemos"???
Sugar can neither confirm nor deny at this time. :-D
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

Sugar Madison wrote:
pbakwin wrote:Sugar, do you mean "something-gnihtemos"???
Sugar can neither confirm nor deny at this time. :-D
"something-gnihtemos"??? :shock: :shock: :shock: 8) 8) 8)
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

I was wondering if anyone knows if anyone has done South Boulder to Sanitas and back before, or any similar out and back on the Boulder Skyline?
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

ezabielski wrote:I was wondering if anyone knows if anyone has done South Boulder to Sanitas and back before, or any similar out and back on the Boulder Skyline?
Let's do it!
ezabielski
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

justiner wrote:
ezabielski wrote:I was wondering if anyone knows if anyone has done South Boulder to Sanitas and back before, or any similar out and back on the Boulder Skyline?
Let's do it!
Some research shows that Peter Bakwin did Sanitarado and back via Eldoritas in 2010 in 10h15m. It says that it was "only" 14,500' of gain and 34 miles. How could it be less than 16,000' and about 50 miles?

Here's the thread for Sanitarado and Eldoritas: http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/thread/129" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I might do SB-Sanitas and back in a few weeks.
John Prater
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 343 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by John Prater »

Doesn't Fred do this every Sunday? :-) I did this in 2010, but, unfortunately, I don't have any mileage or elevation gain stats: http://homieprater.blogspot.com/2010/06 ... verse.html
pbakwin
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

Ha! A 34 mile route that runs like 50!
Actually it's a bit longer now due to the reroute of the Green-Bear Trail.
ezabielski
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

Homie and Peter Bakwin!? I would be in good company then if I did it.
pbakwin
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

BTW, be careful if you choose to do the Saddlerock trail on Green. It's still officially closed & apparently tickets were being written this weekend.