Good hikes near Albequerque NM

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Good hikes near Albequerque NM

Post by tlongpine »

The Knife Edge of the Shield. Google it.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
skiwall
14ers: 2 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by skiwall »

tlongpine wrote:The Knife Edge of the Shield. Google it.
ooohhhhhhhhhhh! My list just got longer. :D
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08
semitrueskerm
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by semitrueskerm »

Cabezon is a must. The entire Rio Puerco is untouched and amazing.

Any and all hikes in the Sandias are fun. But, interestingly, I have yet to do the Shield, which I also hear is incredible. If/when anyone wants to go, let me know.

Only have 2 hours, the Volcanos are Petroglyph are fun...when it's not 100+ degrees...watch for Rattlers.

Santa Fe Baldy & Truchas Peaks further north are good.

I may or may not like sneaking up the Cerrillos Hills, but watch out for abandoned mines. I kid you not when I say that I almost fell into one (or didn't), which is why the area is closed.

I have yet to fully explore the Galisteo Basin & Watershed, including the Ortiz Mountains (normally closed but open a couple times a year), the San Pedro Mountains & the South Mountains...but they are on my list.

Mt. Taylor is fun.

El Malpais is extremely rugged...but worth a day trip.

Jemez has some hidden jewel hikes, with Tent Rocks being an obvious visit.

To'Hajiillee now intrigues me, since that is where Walt buried his money. But, it's tribal land. They might also still be mobile RV's out there cooking Blue...
asbochav
14ers: 31  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by asbochav »

enjoi_14ers wrote:Hey,

Sorry I haven't gotten on in a little while. I did look into the sandia area, even called the park services to get weather and snowpack condition. I am really looking for something closer to Albequerque, so within the area. I was under the impression that there was very little snowpack. I also looked at the calender that you posted, asbochav, and am maybe interested in doing the saturday loop...the person that I am taking though is not acclimated and very inexperienced in hiking. She has climbed Shavano and Tab, and is a very fiery and determined individual...so I'm not worried she won't make it. The ranger I talked to said that microspikes at some higher elevations maybe needed, but you may know better. Snowshoes??? She didnt seem to think those were necessary. What are your thoughts? Thank you again for the information!!!
Enjoi,
The Sandias are close, within 30 minutes drive of most of ABQ. They are the obvious mountains to the E of our city. We are short of snow at the moment so if you have any to spare please send it our way! There's essentially no snow at the start of most Sandia trails, i.e. around 6K feet. 1500' higher things change, bare on S facing slopes but snow on N facing. There's ice in many spots on the trails [especially in the morning] and I agree with the ranger that microspikes are either necessary, or certainly a good idea. Snowshoes aren't needed - once you are up around 8K there will be snow but mostly there will be a good boot track to follow - unless we get a ton of new snow which seems unlikely right now. Gaiters helpful over maybe 8K'.

Saturday's Rincon loop hike will be challenging. I know the organizer and he breakfasts on nails. At least talk to him if you want to join him. Personally I would suggest the Embudito or Embudo trails, both in the Sandias and easily accessible from Tramway Blvd. They start easy [and popular with dog-walkers etc] but after a mile or 2 become much more interesting, as the casual walkers drop out, if you want to keep going you can reach S Sandia Peak at 9500'. You hike from desert cactus, to pinyon juniper woodland, through ponderosa pine forests to spruce forest in 2 or 3 hours. Neat rock formations and it can be gorgeous near sunset with the low sun on the pink-looking granite.
As others have said, many other excellent possibilities depending on time available etc. If you are in ABQ and W of the Rio Grande Petroglyph National Monument offer very easy hiking and guess what? petroglyphs. Wherever you go be prepared with appropriate clothing etc it can get chilly especially if it's windy!
I hope that helps. I'd be happy to provide more info. 14ers.com has given me lots of useful info and hopefully you could find my response of value.
Eppur si muove
Clapton is God