Good hikes near Albequerque NM

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
enjoi_14ers
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Good hikes near Albequerque NM

Post by enjoi_14ers »

I know this isn't Colorado mountains, but will be in ALBQ this next weekend and wondering if anyone has hiked or knows of any good hikes in the area. TIA :-D
SenadR
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 193 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Good hikes near Albequerque NM

Post by SenadR »

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=14577" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
asbochav
14ers: 31  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by asbochav »

Plenty of good hikes. Long, hard, short, easy, whatever, the nearest area is the Sandia Mountains, over 10K snow on top and dry low down right now -of course that could change if we get snow. Microspikes essential on many of the trails. Check this site, or buy Mike Coltrin's book:

http://www.sandiahiking.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And see http://www.meetup.com/hiking-204/events/calendar/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots of other places to hike. PM me if you want.
Eppur si muove
Clapton is God
NM_Hiker
Trip Reports (0)

Post by NM_Hiker »

My suggestion is drive up north and hike Santa Fe Baldy. The weather is suppose to be great this weekend. Have fun.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

2nd the vote for SF Baldy. Did it a couple weeks ago and it's in good shape. Also by SF is Lake Peak. It's a nice 4 or 5 hour climb. Did it this week.

For the ABQ area I would look at...

South Peak in the Sandias

Cabezon Peak

Sandia Crest via Chimney Canyon
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

I thought Cabezon Peak was a great outing and it wasn't super far for Albuquerque.
6727433_orig.jpg
6727433_orig.jpg (194.47 KiB) Viewed 969 times
A few more photos can be found here...
http://www.brianinthewild.com/theres-a- ... e-sea.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
B[3]
14ers: 58 
13ers: 96 14
Trip Reports (22)

Post by B[3] »

The suggestions above are all good ones. Perhaps my favorite so far was Cabezon--the scrambling was fun, and the views from the summit were great. When we did Cabezon in December, there was some snow near the summit and on parts of the trail, but the scrambling sections were dry.
Learn from the mistakes of others--you can never live long enough to make them all yourself.--Unknown
Don't chase your dreams, catch them.--Unknown
tjerasdave
14ers: 30 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tjerasdave »

Another vote for Cabezon. It's not that far of a drive and it's one of my favorite scrambles.
shearmodulus
14ers: 18  1  1 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by shearmodulus »

Get some culture while you're there and check out Chaco canyon...
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

I do love Albuquerque. Hit Greek town, near the university, if you are looking for some excellent food.

If you're looking for short and highly-accessible hikes, the Petroglyphs NM located on the western boundary of the city has trails going up a few extinct cinder cone volcanoes. They offer some decent views overlooking Albuquerque and can be hiked in 2 or 3 hours.

http://www.nps.gov/petr/planyourvisit/volcanoes.htm
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
asbochav
14ers: 31  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by asbochav »

Hi Enjoi_14ers,
Nine members responded to your RFI with recommended hikes varying from short and easily accessible to moderately exposed class 3 to 4 climbs. It would help us if you responded letting us know what you are looking for in the way of distance from ABQ, length and difficulty. I'm not quite sure what you meant by "this next weekend" - is that the weekend now coming to an end or the weekend of January 10th? Either way I hope our suggestions were helpful - I for one would be interested in knowing how it worked out for you.
Eppur si muove
Clapton is God
enjoi_14ers
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by enjoi_14ers »

Hey,

Sorry I haven't gotten on in a little while. I did look into the sandia area, even called the park services to get weather and snowpack condition. I am really looking for something closer to Albequerque, so within the area. I was under the impression that there was very little snowpack. I also looked at the calender that you posted, asbochav, and am maybe interested in doing the saturday loop...the person that I am taking though is not acclimated and very inexperienced in hiking. She has climbed Shavano and Tab, and is a very fiery and determined individual...so I'm not worried she won't make it. The ranger I talked to said that microspikes at some higher elevations maybe needed, but you may know better. Snowshoes??? She didnt seem to think those were necessary. What are your thoughts? Thank you again for the information!!!