Front range trail conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Front range trail conditions

Post by PaliKona »

Thank you!
PaliKona
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

I've done the Fern Canyon trail up Bear Peak - how does Shadow Canyon compare? Steeper or about the same?
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

shes a grunt. longer and pretty sustained climb. way less traveled than fern. I prefer fern as a descent but the climb is probably the best in boulder in my humble opinion. plus the view at the base overlooking the valley is really awesome, especially since how green it is now!

have fun.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
bigredmachine
14ers: 58 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bigredmachine »

Shadow is great, it's so green, has such great variety and tends to dry out fairly quickly. In my opinion it's probably a little steeper than fern canyon. FWIW my 5 year old daughter knocked it out a few weeks ago and loved it. Yeah I might be bragging a little :-D
Bouncer
14ers: 8 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bouncer »

Jeff Valliere wrote:Ran Green this afternoon, finishing up just before 5pm. The snow on Amphi/Saddle Rock/Greenman has mostly melted, just a few short, inconsequential stretches on the upper 1/3 that will be gone tomorrow. The trail is wet in spots, drying well overall and never muddy. A bit of runoff on lower Amphi, but no problem to splash through, or skip around on the sides. Gregory creek is still flowing high and Gregory Canyon Trail is still closed.

Has the Gregory Canyon Trailhead for green mountain being fixed/reopened after the rain damage from 2013?
bigredmachine
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bigredmachine »

Bouncer wrote:
Jeff Valliere wrote:Ran Green this afternoon, finishing up just before 5pm. The snow on Amphi/Saddle Rock/Greenman has mostly melted, just a few short, inconsequential stretches on the upper 1/3 that will be gone tomorrow. The trail is wet in spots, drying well overall and never muddy. A bit of runoff on lower Amphi, but no problem to splash through, or skip around on the sides. Gregory creek is still flowing high and Gregory Canyon Trail is still closed.

Has the Gregory Canyon Trailhead for green mountain being fixed/reopened after the rain damage from 2013?

I don't thing the actual trailhead is open again but it's only about 20 minutes from Chataqua so not that big of deal. They have reopened the trail itself since the 2013 flooding, but like Jeff said it is temporarily closed again because of the recent rains.
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

They have been working on the road to the Gregory lot lately, weather permitting, but really seem to not be in a hurry. I am sure there are all sorts of OSMP assessments that need to take place, gradient coefficients to be calculated and figure which type of pavement will least affect the endangered foufy fou fou snail. As of yesterday morning, Gregory Canyon is free of signage/closure tape and the water levels have receded (receded earlier in the week) to normal Spring runoff levels. There are no bridges, but you can skip across easy enough.
LarryM
14ers: 27 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (3)

Post by LarryM »

Regarding Fern Canyon vs. Shadow Canyon, Fern is definitely steeper though Shadow is longer.
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

Went Green up Saddle Rock and descent through Gregory Canyon yesterday, both the trails are all wet mud free. Was a smooth run and back from the summit.
Although the recent expected week long rains will change things.
sue personett
13ers: 86
Trip Reports (1)

Post by sue personett »

The trail up Mt. Herman's east side is wet, muddy and has turned into a stream in a small upper section. Some large trees have also fallen across the trail. Other than that, it's fine. :-D
Namaste
Sue
PaliKona
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Have not hiked Picture Rock in Heil or Nighthawk in Hall. Which has better views?
Alpine
14ers: 55 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Alpine »

I like both trails but would consider neither of them to be very good for views, if you are thinking views of the surrounding mountains and hills. Picture Rock view is pretty much limited to the valley the trail goes up, and even even if you extend it around to Ponderosa there are only limited views of Longs, etc, and scattered views of the plans below. Nighthawk has better views but again is primarily of the local area, surrounding meadows and forest, etc. There are some views of Longs and Meeker up near the top that are nice.
"You know I've always loved you...and you know I always will." Third Day