Front range trail conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Re: Front range trail conditions

Post by JeffR »

Watrous Gulch->Parnassus->Bard->Bard Creek loop is 99% dry.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
xcrunner365
14ers: 44 
13ers: 68
Trip Reports (0)

Post by xcrunner365 »

From my vantage point it looked like there might be one snowfield to cross on the upper ridge near the top of Eva, but dry for the most part. I was out on 6/23 so its probably in better condition now.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

How about the Arapahoe Pass trail - how wet and how much snow? Would like to get to the pass.
PaliKona
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

I've done James Peak a number of times from St Mary's - so I'm interested in hiking it from the west side. How tough is the road to drive from Winter Park up to the trestle on the west side, where the trail to the divide starts? And once on the divide, is there a trail most of the way to the summit?

Thanks for the help.
yorksman
14ers: 13 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by yorksman »

PaliKona wrote:I've done James Peak a number of times from St Mary's - so I'm interested in hiking it from the west side. How tough is the road to drive from Winter Park up to the trestle on the west side, where the trail to the divide starts? And once on the divide, is there a trail most of the way to the summit?

Thanks for the help.
I just drove to the trestle last Friday in my Subaru Outback it took about 40 minutes from HWY 40. Lots of pot holes but no major obstacles.
PaliKona
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Thanks. Where did you hike from there?
PaliKona
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

I was looking to hike the south ridge of Mt. Morrison. A couple of questions, as I've never done it. Is the trail obvious the whole way up? Also, I always associate Mt. Morrison with lots of rattlesnakes. Are they hibernating by now and not something I need to keep an eye out for?
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

PaliKona wrote:I was looking to hike the south ridge of Mt. Morrison. A couple of questions, as I've never done it. Is the trail obvious the whole way up? Also, I always associate Mt. Morrison with lots of rattlesnakes. Are they hibernating by now and not something I need to keep an eye out for?
The trickiest part is parking/finding the start, but then it's pretty obvious.
A few minor scrambling options near the top, but also still pretty obvious.

Ice (now) is more of a concern (just a bit), especially in the beginning -- not sure if enough people were there to need spikes, as it's a pretty steep butt-slide if slippery.
Rattlesnakes won't be a concern at all, as they're brumating(!)
(I'm not a herp-freak, I hate rattlesnakes, but it's a funny word and metabolic process)

Have fun!
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

PaliKona wrote:Is the trail obvious the whole way up?
On the way up, yes. But I've climbed it a few times and I always seem to get a little turned around and side-tracked on the way down, once you get in the trees just below the summit. Maybe that's just because I'm an idiot, but there is a faint divergent trail (at least without snow) somewhere around there that confuses me on the way down. No big reason to panic, as it'd take an even bigger idiot than I to actually get lost on that route.
It's a fun little climb. The beginning up to the first flat section is a good uphill grind - I hike up to that quite often just as a workout. I haven't been on it since these last storms, but usually after a snow it can get really muddy and slick on some of the steeper portions right at the start.
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir