Front range trail conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
griddles
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Front range trail conditions

Post by griddles »

I went up to Finch lake in RMNP on Saturday night. I went without snow shoes. For the last 2 -2.5 miles they would have been very helpful. The lake is at 9900 ft and the trail get above 10,000.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

there's a ton of snow up there, most I've ever seen this time of year, even above treeline where it's usually windblown or crusty. But warm temps this week should make some dent. I got around fine without snowshoes above treeline (above 12000 ft) but postholed some and it got really wet and sloppier as the day went on. With much warmer temps this week the snow will likely be too soft to be supportive even with snowshoes. The popular trails like Flattop should have a firmer bootpack. I'd expect Twin Sisters to have the least snow for something above treeline. There is a slide across the trail from the flood but it's still passable.

All the roads are open, except for Fall River Rd which is wiped out from last years flood.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Current conditions
http://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/t ... itions.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sounds pretty wet. Thinking a trip up Deer Mtn or Twin Sister might be best.
PaliKona
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Any word on when the gate at Brainard is opening?

Also, has anyone been up Flattop recently? Would it be a postholing nightmare later in the day?
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

brainard june 20th, according to this

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsint ... n%2520Area" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaliKona
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Thank you. A few others:

Trail to Herman Lake - still a posthole nightmare?
Trail to Chasm Lake from Chasm Junction - tricky snow?
Road to July 4th TH - doable in a 2wd low clearance vehicle? How's the trail up to the pass?

Thanks all!
Sugar Madison
14ers: 30 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sugar Madison »

PaliKona wrote:Thank you. A few others:

Road to July 4th TH - doable in a 2wd low clearance vehicle? How's the trail up to the pass?

Thanks all!
I was up there last Thursday. Yes, it's open and passable to 2wd, but it's a bit rougher than normal. There's a washed out section maybe a mile or so from the TH that some people weren't comfortable going through. I got a minivan up there (5" of horrid clearance), so it's doable. There was another sedan or two also. A careful line should see you through without problems.

Trail has snow off and on to treeline, mostly easy to get over and well consolidated. Little postholey near the krummholtz at the top. Melting really fast though.

- Chris
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

most of the Flattop trail was covered in 10-20 ft of snow below treeline as of 06/08 (from below the trail split w/Odessa) - that day was cloudy/rainy so the snow stayed firm the whole time, basically no postholing and the bootpack held firm. Above treeline it's mostly dried out with a few firm snowfields. Hallett is dry on the standard route. If it's a hot sunny day, expect a lot of postholing later. Microspikes were helpful in the morning.
PaliKona
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Went up Flora and slightly beyond on the Divide. Lots of snow in the trees up through the old ski area, but supportive. Only one other snow field to get around above treeline, otherwise clear sailing. Great day to be in the alpine, with clear views everywhere. Man, do the Gores look awesome and still very covered in snow.
PaliKona
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Any reports from the following?

-Pawnee Pass
-Blue Lake in IPW
-Meadow Mtn near Allenspark
-Herman Gulch

Thank you!!
PaliKona
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

I hiked to Arapahoe Glacier overlook today: trail is in good shape, with a few large snowfields to cross in the 4th of July mine area. Glacier looked fat. Wildflowers starting to pop. Beautiful up there this time of year with all the rushing water. Oh, and Skywalker couloir is still in if anyone is interested. Actually, lots to ski up there still. And the road is definately rougher than 2 years ago but still made it with a low clearance sedan and hit bottom once.
griddles
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by griddles »

Any one know the snow conditions for Buffalo Mountain (above Silverthorne)?
This is from two days ago.
TravelingMatt wrote:Buffalo Mountain above Silverthorne, 12777 feet.

Give it at least another week though, there's still snow up there.
Or failing at that Herman Lake conditions?