RMNP -- Milner Pass to Mt. Ida to Lake Arrowhead

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rider
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (0)

RMNP -- Milner Pass to Mt. Ida to Lake Arrowhead

Post by rider »

Is there some reason the CDT from Milner Pass to Mt. Ida is not on maps? Also, has anyone gone to Lake Arrowhead from Milner Pass? Is the trail well defined? Is the off trail portion of the route to Lake Arrowhead pretty straight forward?

I'm trying to assess if I can day hike to Lake Arrowhead for a couple hours of fly fishing (9 to 11 hours round trip type of day).

I'm in good shape, so I think the distance and elevation is within range assuming the terrain is not too bad. For example, I'm planning to day hike to Haynatch Lakes during this same trip (16 miles round trip).

Link below shows that the trail looks nice, so it's a mystery why my maps do not show a trail.
http://www.summitpost.org/tundra-traver ... -05/170683
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Re: RMNP -- Milner Pass to Mt. Ida to Lake Arrowhead

Post by lodgling »

The trail to the Ida summit it great. I can't answer your question about getting to Arrowhead Lake. The reason I am responding is to point out that given the amount of time you are setting aside for your hike, I would point out that the ridge from Milner to Ida seems to be a magnet for afternoon thunderstorms, which you may have a tough time assessing from down at the lake.
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

Well, it isn't actually part of the official CDT...just a unmaintained trail from years of wildlife and hikers that happens to follow the divide. The true CDT heads down from Ptarmigan Pass to Big Meadows and into the southern Never Summers. As for why the Ida trail isn't on the map, the NPS probably doesn't want to advertise it. There are lots of unmaintained climbers trails in the park that aren't found on maps.

I've dropped down to Highest and Azure Lake from Cracktop, never been farther down into the Gorge Lakes than that though. I've looked into it though, if you're up for the distance and elevation gain it should be pretty straightforward. Just follow the long slope north of the lakes down and fight some shrubs over to Arrowhead. As was said earlier, the biggest concerns are thunderstorms.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
JohnP FTC
14ers: 10  3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JohnP FTC »

I did this exact hike a few years ago. Cool area. From Milner to Arrowhead and back is very doable as a daytrip.

Tight lines,

-John
If you wish to make an apple pie truly from scratch, you must first invent the universe. -Carl Sagan
rider
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rider »

Thanks for the responses. I was starting to get concerned that maybe the NPS had the trail posted as being closed, but that's apparently not the case.

Thunderstorms on the ridge would be definite risk, since I would be coming back in the late afternoon.
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

The same thing happened to me back in '08. Threatening skies and lightning stormed in from the southwest so I turned back. Then, upon returning to Milner, the storm broke up and dissipated. You just don't know.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.