The Colorado Trail

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Re: The Colorado Trail

Post by SkaredShtles »

climbing_rob wrote: Well sorry if I sounded smug, I was in a hurry and didn't "speak" well; my point is (and I'm sure you know this) on thru hikes, many of us prefer not to pre-plan too much and just go with the flow. Maps are great, but a full set would be heavier than a single little 1.9 ounce book, would it not? In any case, not to sound smug again, but "little blue lines on a map" do not always signify useable water, the dotted lines for trail sometimes completely miss tons of switchbacks and such and are harder to estimate miles, and most importantly to me on these hikes is that good campsites are typically not at all obvious on TOPO maps.
I really hope that people aren't attempting something like this without a set of "real" maps with them. Because if the $hit really hits the fan from a orientationon standpoint the *fundamental* item you'd better have is a map, a compass, and the knowledge to use it. Like I said in another thread - the CT is ridiculously well marked... but even I wouldn't go on it without a *full* set of "real" maps.
Again, sorry to sound smug, but this ain't 1994 anymore either, ya know? (more smugness)
Heh. I've been told this before... I'm skeptical, but I'll go with it. :mrgreen:

That said - there are some rules that will *never* change when going out in the wilderness, IMO - and having a map and compass is one of 'em.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Well, many people do all 58 14ers without ever bringing a Compass or large maps. Just saying...
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

djkest wrote:Well, many people do all 58 14ers without ever bringing a Compass or large maps. Just saying...
Day hikes climbing 14'ers ≠ thru-hiking a 500 mile trail.

That said - you would/could probably get away with *not* taking an actual map and compass on the CT... it's really well marked. But it would be really dumb. :mrgreen:
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

I think calling 14ers all "Day Hikes" is a little bit disengenous and yes, I know it CAN be done in one shot but is not often done. Things like El Diente, Little Bear, Kit Carson, Snowmass, Capitol, Blanca, etc. And the Chicago Basin peaks as a day hike well...

Not sure how many you've done, but you probably know that Grays Peak is a different animal than the above mentioned "dayhikes". You do have the benefit of navigating by known points above treeline though, which is a huge help.

And there is much less of a trail on all of the above mentioned peaks than there is on the CT. :-k
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog