The Colorado Trail

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
katdemaree
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (0)

The Colorado Trail

Post by katdemaree »

This July, my friend & I are going to thru-hike the Colorado Trail from Denver to Durango. Neither of us have much experience with a backpacking trip of this magnitude: he is an avid rock-climber from Arkansas and I'm a local 14er novice. I would love any knowledge, advice, cautions, etc. that you guys have! We have done a lot of research/planning on it, but nothing can compete with the wisdom of experience. How feasible is doing any 14ers? Are any of them easily accessible from the trail or do they add a lot of extra mileage? What is the safest manner to handle lightning storms on open plains? What are the best & easiest reached re-supply towns?
Thanks so much everyone! Any advice is appreciated!
Last edited by katdemaree on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gene913
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

Re: The Colorado Trail

Post by Gene913 »

Highly recommend you get a copy of The Colorado Trail which is the guidebook put out by Colorado Mountain Club and the Colorado Trail Foundation. All your questions about easy resupply points and readily accessbile 14ers are addressed in the book. It might even qualify as a piece of essential equipment to take along while doing your planned thruhike.
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

I would also suggest you spend some time on backpackinglight.com. You will find a lot more resources and advice there about long distance through hikes, logistics and keeping you pack weight down which will ultimately allow you to enjoy the experience much more.
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

You will get a chance for 14ers when you get to the Northern Sawatch and as it follows the eastern ramparts of the range all the way down to Monarch Pass area, then San Louis in the SJ. If you take a couple days off trail, you might even get Redcloud and Sunshine! Quite a few of the Sawatch are just few miles off the trail, while others may require more time, but depends on how much of an epic CT you want to experience! Get that CT book, very useful book!

Don't wear yourself out before you get started, 472 miles is a long way, adding a 14er or two may make it unpleasant. Maybe do Shavano when you get your groove going pretty good and then San Louis a few days later when you have recovered somewhat! But you will know what's good for you when you get on the trail. I've met a few through-hikers in Waterton and they all had smiles on their faces, I'm sure you will too! What a fantastic way to spend a summer! Good Luck!

If you haven't thought of it already, load up your pack with about 35 lbs of rocks and start walking at least an hour a day! There will be some long days out there!
Last edited by boudreaux on Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ragin Cajun
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

Good luck with your trip. I am (once again) hiking the CT going SOBO beginning on June 20. You can hike several 14ers as the 14er trails intersect the CT (San Luis, Massive, Harvard, Columbia, Elbert, Yale). San Luis is the easiest as its only a couple miles RT from the CT.

Get the CT Databook. I don't use the other books. I will tell you that when I first did the CT I had big plans to climb many of the 14ers listed during the trip. But, after hiking hundreds of miles, climbing the 14ers didn't look so inviting. Just something to consider. You can certainly do San Luis easily (adds a couple hours) and pick and choose from the others.

SJ Ron :)
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir
Gene913
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Gene913 »

San Juan Ron wrote: Get the CT Databook. I don't use the other books.
SJR is right; the Databook is a much better option to carry with you on the CT.
http://www.shop.coloradotrail.org/Color ... ABOOK5.htm
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

If only for some CT scenery and perhaps a little inspiration:

http://www.irunfar.com/2014/03/running- ... eview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HuskyRunner
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by HuskyRunner »

Since the thread has drifted to running anyhow, know of anybody that has done a casual jog of the CT? Wondering if it's doable as an unsupported, 2-2.5 week run going from town to town and staying nights in some lodging?
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

Good resupply points (options in brackets):

Jefferson
Breck/Frisco
(Twin Lakes/Mt. Princeton Hot Springs)
Leadville
Salida
(Trail Angel Apple or possibly Gunnison)
Lake City/Creede
Silverton

I mail or drop off my resupply boxes in advance. Shoot me a message and I can give you more specifics. Sites with good info:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdi ... rado-Trail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SJ Ron :)
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Try to listen to a Andrew Skurka long distance hiking presentation or at least visit his website:
http://andrewskurka.com/
He has done trips 10x the Colorado Trail. His trips are entirely postal resupply by a dedicated mother and girlfriend. He is also a strong advocate of superlight hiking equipment.

If you try a new backpacking methodology, I strongly suggest testing it on 4 to 7 day trip before do 20-30 day trip like the CT. I also suggest this to "know yourself". Maybe you will want more comfort or a different amount of food than Andrew (For example I get by on much less food than Andrew).
Last edited by peter303 on Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

HuskyRunner wrote:Since the thread has drifted to running anyhow, know of anybody that has done a casual jog of the CT? Wondering if it's doable as an unsupported, 2-2.5 week run going from town to town and staying nights in some lodging?
The record appears to be a little over a week a casual perusal in google. It appears to be a staple course in ultrarunning.
jasperson
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jasperson »

I think Gene913 and SJR are both right. :)

I'd highly recommend picking up the Guidebook beforehand and take the data book with you. Or you can photocopy the pertinent sections and include them in your resupply packages (if you're mailing them).

The Guidebook is awesome but it weighs about as much as a brick.