Lost Creek Wilderness - Expected conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Sugar Madison
14ers: 30 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Lost Creek Wilderness - Expected conditions

Post by Sugar Madison »

Hello all,

Any folks who frequent the LCW have a feeling for how snow conditions this year compare to years past? I normally like to get in a couple long weekends of trail running down there in late-April to early-June, depending on how the snowpack has lingered. Some years have been great in late-April... other years, well, not so much. :-D

Could anyone wager a guess when *most* stuff will be melted out? We're totally fine with a few miles of postholing nastiness on the north-facing slopes, but it would be nice if 75-80% of the trails are clear.

Thanks in advance!
- Chris
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Lost Creek Wilderness - Expected conditions

Post by Brian Thomas »

The North Ben Tyler trail area was still under 2-3 feet of snow near treeline last Sunday. I've been up that trail many times throughout the year since 2010 and have never seen it totally dry before June.

McCurdy last May was mostly dry with a few short nasty sections of postholing.

I might be up in the Lost Park area March 29-30 and will post what conditions I encounter if I go.
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
Sugar Madison
14ers: 30 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sugar Madison »

Thanks Brian!

Yes, I've had better luck down south than up around the Kenosha Range. We've gotten ourselves into some really deep, unpleasant postholing up around Brookside-McCurdy and the CT at the pass between Lost Park and Wellington Lake Rd.

We did this loop on 5/5/12 and it was essentially (95%) dry... but 2012 was a low snow year too:
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/20 ... 4-map.html

I think we'll just have to readjust expectations and plan for more snow this year. It's just fun to get up a bit high earlier. Thanks!
companion1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by companion1 »

I was on the west side last weekend, attempting to climb unnamed "Tarryall Peak" or "Lost Park Peak" from the Spruce Grove campground. The trail had snow and needed spikes about 2 miles in. At 3 miles, Hankins Pass, the trail ended (non packed snow). Snow shoes were needed from there. Had to use the GPS from there on, the snow was hip deep (with them on) in places. Wow, much more snow than normal for that area. BTW-I did not summit. Got to within about 200 vertical feet from the summit of Lost Park but with no one knowing where I was at, late in the afternoon, snow falling, and having to start climbing on boulders with snow on them I thought it best to call it. 7.5 hour of effort and sore the next day!
tundratif
14ers: 38 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tundratif »

Does anyone have any current beta on the Lost Creek area and snow conditions/levels? I was looking to do a possible backpack trip down there this weekend and would like to minimize the snow encounters if possible. I didn't see any updates more current than a couple of weeks ago. Thanks!
"You don't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when. But you can decide how you're going to live now." - Joan Baez
mike offerman
14ers: 58 
13ers: 189
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mike offerman »

No snow from Wigwam trailhead to the Goose creek trail. Some snow on the peaks above 10k to the East of goose creek.