Raggeds Wilderness & West Elks Suggestions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Raggeds Wilderness & West Elks Suggestions

Post by ajkagy »

yea schofield pass via gothic road still has the snow plug which is sketchy to try and drive over. I would say your best bet would be to drive over paradise divide from slate river road and over to schofield park, it's mostly dry up there now. Also, slate river road looked like it had been re-graded a bit in the last week or two going up to paradise divide.

I was just up at lost lake off of kebler pass this last weekend, all dry and beautiful. Have Fun!
highplaces
14ers: 58  11 
13ers: 100 3
Trip Reports (9)

Post by highplaces »

Thanks for the conditions and suggestions on Slate River Road (that’ll work out fine as I only need to get to Paradise TH anyway, was just planning on getting there via Schofield Pass).

ajkagy – do you happen to know if Kebler Pass Road is open west of Lost Lake out to Rt. 133? That’s the way I’ll be coming in. I called Aspen ranger, but they didn’t know. I tried Gunnison ranger, but no answer. Did you happen to get a look at E. Beckwith? Any thoughts on Mt Owen/Ruby Peak?
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

According to this, Kebler Pass is open.
http://bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm#kebler" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

highplaces wrote:Thanks for the conditions and suggestions on Slate River Road (that’ll work out fine as I only need to get to Paradise TH anyway, was just planning on getting there via Schofield Pass).

ajkagy – do you happen to know if Kebler Pass Road is open west of Lost Lake out to Rt. 133? That’s the way I’ll be coming in. I called Aspen ranger, but they didn’t know. I tried Gunnison ranger, but no answer. Did you happen to get a look at E. Beckwith? Any thoughts on Mt Owen/Ruby Peak?
yea kebler is open out to 133. East Beckwith looked pretty dry from what I could tell, I doubt you'll encounter much if any snow up to the ridges. There's still snow on Owen and Ruby, but it seemed like it could be avoided when taking the standard route up to the ridge.

Kebler had mag chloride applied this week and they are finishing the job up on the 15th/16th this next week, so the dust shouldn't be bad at all like it has been on the road.
highplaces
14ers: 58  11 
13ers: 100 3
Trip Reports (9)

Post by highplaces »

Thanks everyone, much appreciated! Really looking forward to my first visit to this area.
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

FYI, the snow plug on Schofield is gone as of yesterday, so anyone who wants to drive Schofield Pass- have at it.