Raggeds Wilderness & West Elks Suggestions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
highplaces
14ers: 58  11 
13ers: 100 3
Trip Reports (9)

Raggeds Wilderness & West Elks Suggestions

Post by highplaces »

I'm planning a summer hike of East Beckwith from Lost Lake. Looking for suggestions of other peaks/routes while in the area. I'm considering driving back into Crested Butte and heading NW to Treasury. But I'm wondering if it makes more sense to stay out in the Raggeds since I'm already there. Will be a 2-3 day weekend so I'll have 1-2 days after East Beckwith. Thanks!
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Raggeds Wilderness & West Elks Suggestions

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Quick list of peaks out there you could do:

Treasure/Treasury - I think there is a TR on here describing the route or there might be one on Summitpost
Marcellina - some routefinding I believe (you have to circle around and climb up the north side)
Mount Gunnison - I know there's a route description on Summitpost for it, I can't recall much about it right now
Mount Owen - you can also add in Purple and Ruby pretty easily
West Elk Peak - 18 mile RT but absolutely beautiful area and all easy hiking

I've done Mount Owen and highly recommend it. I tried to do West Elk and was less than a mile from the summit when a storm came in on us. The others I've wanted to do for a long time and just never had time to get back out there for them. I think any of them would be great days out. The area is gorgeous and one of my favorite places in the state.
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

Something more remote might be Ragged Peak and even Chair Mountain. Pretty neat area that didn't seem to get visited much.
This trip report should tell you how to get there from Erickson Springs at the Paonia side of Kebler.
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... urn false;
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

Ruby/Mt Owen are close by, the route is pretty straight forward from Lake Irwin and the views are spectacular

If you decide to go up wash gulch/paradise divide area here are a few suggestions: Gothic, Baldy, Treasury, Purple (requires a scramble), Cinnamon (great views, super short hike)

If you're looking for entirely different views on an iconic looking mountain I would recommend Teocalli

Another option is to go out to Schofield park, take the west maroon pass trail out to Bellview Mountain (not Mt. Bellview). There is a fun class 2/3 ridge scramble and you'll have fantastic views of Maroon peak/Pyramid and most likely a summit to yourself.
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

Jon Frohlich wrote: West Elk Peak - 18 mile RT but absolutely beautiful area and all easy hiking
It's much shorter than that from the South (Rainbow Lake trhd), and you get to do all the Baldies along the way. Great hike above treeline most of the way.

OP, I think you were given a bunch of great choices. Some of them could be combined with other peaks (i.e. Owen and Ruby, or cinnamon and Treasury)
SuperPolok
14ers: 58 
13ers: 245
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SuperPolok »

This summer I went and hiked up the ridge from Ohio Peak to the high point of the Anthracite Range. It was a blast and I could send you the gps track of my hike if you need it.

West Elk is also a great suggestion and you really can't go wrong with most peaks in the area. If you're looking for a shorter/easier day I'd recommend Mount Axtell
highplaces
Trip Reports (9)

Post by highplaces »

Looking for info on current conditions in this area.

Is Schofield Pass open from Crested Butte?
Is Keebler Pass Road open from CB out to Lost Lake/East Beckwith?

Anyone know conditions for any of these peaks?
Treasury Mtn
Belleview Mtn
East Beckwith Mtn
Mt Owen
Cinnamon

Thanks!
Teresa Gergen
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Still a lot of snow on N sides of high West Elk peaks. Here's a picture of the Beckwiths taken on 6/21:
IMG_4584.JPG
IMG_4584.JPG (55.32 KiB) Viewed 963 times
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

highplaces wrote:Looking for info on current conditions in this area.

Treasury Mtn
Belleview Mtn
East Beckwith Mtn
Mt Owen
Cinnamon

Thanks!
schofield is not open, There is still a gate closed just past the Judd falls trailhead keeping people from going too far up gothic because of road damage. The slate/wash gulch side to paradise divide still has tons of snow as well. The only way you'll be getting there is by bike.

Kebler is open same with up to lost lake

The whole paradise divide area (Treasury, Cinnamon, ect are still holding tons of snow). Owen still has snow, but not as much as near the paradise divide area, same with Beckwith.
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
highplaces
Trip Reports (9)

Post by highplaces »

Thanks so much for the info on conditions! I was thinking this was likely given what I've been reading in snow reports for the Elks. I had been looking to make a trip to this area next week, but I'll push it out at least a few weeks. Thanks again, much appreciated.
highplaces
Trip Reports (9)

Post by highplaces »

Bump. Looking for any updates on current conditions. Hoping to make a trip next week.

Treasury Mtn
Belleview Mtn
East Beckwith Mtn
Mt Owen
Cinnamon

Thanks!
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

highplaces wrote:Is Schofield Pass open from Crested Butte?
I don't know about formally "open", but as of last Sunday deep snowdrifts were still on the road well south of the pass. People with sturdier Jeeps had plowed a way through, but I wasn't willing to try it myself. You may be able to access Schofield Pass via Slate River Road, which was dry at least to the Paradise TH and beyond.

Also the Schofield Pass road had a few deep water crossings, including a particularly muddy one at least a foot deep.
Treasury Mtn
Belleview Mtn
East Beckwith Mtn
Mt Owen
Cinnamon
I did Treasury on Saturday, 7/5. As was reported in another thread, there was a steep snowfield at the Cinnamon/Treasury col for which I would strongly recommend snow gear. I booted it, however.

After my cumulative snow experience I headed home early. I'll be giving that area at least a couple more weeks before going back.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake