Abasin closing this year

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Abasin closing this year

Post by ajkagy »

rijaca wrote:
djkest wrote:Breckenridge is saying they have gotten over 34' of snow this year, more than any other ski resort in the US. I have not gone this year, but it's tempting. It appears based on current conditions that the snow should be good through 4/26 (the last day they are open). April 14th and they have 100% of their terrain open right now...
Loveland is reporting 428" of snow this year. (More than Breck).
Breck's snow stake cam is in a known area for wind accumulated snow coming off of peak 8/9. It's a nice location to report big totals and makes for the skiing near chair 6 to be deep. It's funny that loveland still reports more though.
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aug_Dog
14ers: 31 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aug_Dog »

I've been a season pass holder at Loveland and Copper/Winter Park/Steamboat for several years. Loveland is always pretty darn spot on with their reports. If anything, they under-report. I feel like Copper, WP and Steamboat are all pretty accurate, too, but not quite as honest as Loveland. In the years that I bought the summit pass, I always felt like their totals were a bit misleading. Not hating, just stating my opinion based on my experiences.

All that said, it has been an incredible year at all the resorts I have a pass, too. I was at closing day for Steamboat and it was just awesome. Snow came a little late, but the conditions up high were almost dead of winter. It was pretty miserable down low and melting VERY fast. It also rained in town and at Gondola Square for a good 9 hours before it turned to snow. Up high? Completely different story, but that should come as no shock since the base elevation at Steamboat isn't even near the Summit or Loveland resorts.
Go get it
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Alta is at 401". All my friends over there are complaining how sucky the season was due to lack of snow. The poor souls only have 112" on the ground. :(

400" in the Wasatch (at least the west side) = sucky season and lack of snow.

400" in Colorado = great season and abundant snow.

Alas though, I haven't skied either for several years now (so I guess every season lately has been sucky for me, skiing wise), but maybe it's time to get back into it (especially backcountry).
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Summit and the resorts on the Divide have been killing it this year, regardless of what the numbers say. Just go ski them. The snow is amazing, the coverage is as good as ever at Breck, Copper, LL and AB. Just an amazing year. I've had 4 incredible powder days just in April!
SolarAlex
14ers: 35  13  5 
13ers: 92 23 5
Trip Reports (21)

Post by SolarAlex »

is it possible that breckenridge is just in an ideal position to benefit from wind loading?
Vincit Qui Patitur
MatB
14ers: 22  1  1 
13ers: 98 4 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MatB »

Some aspects for sure but I'm not too certain that the whole mountain is capable of that. I'd like to hear what some of the guys who get to ski Breck all the time think. I've always taken Breck's snow reports with a grain of salt.
"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived,'"
- Dalai Lama, when asked about what surprises him the most about humanity
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

The wind transport at Breck can really make the upper mtn ski deep.
Just last week, they reported 7", but it snowed from 5am all day and combined with some wind transport, I had 5 of the deepest runs of my season in Pk 7 bowl. I measured halfway down and it was 20" deep blower. Lots of white room that day.
But then there are days where they report a high number and it's kinda meh. Those days are good though bc it attracts tons of people there, and leaves A Basin or other mtns empty ;)